General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying an Incomplete Takeout 8.1L L18

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an Incomplete Takeout 8.1L L18

I have found (2) 8.1L donor motors for my latest rock crawler project but I need some advice on which one to buy. I am going to look at both motors on Friday (8/22)

The first motor is an incomplete take-out. engine is complete from oil pan to intake, has coil packs, a set of used headers and an LS1 throttle body to eliminate the drive by wire throttle. It may be missing the harmonic balancer and the a/c compressor. Engine has been partially disassembled and put back together as the current owner started the project and now does not have time to finish it. I will find out more on Friday. $500 for this one.

A quick search shows I can pickup a blank PCM on Ebay for $100, and a used harness for $200. I did not see any 8.1L MAFs on Ebay. My concern is that I start adding $100 here and $100 there for this and that sensor or part and I wind up spending a lot more time and money piecing this one together.

The second motor is a complete take-out with harness and computer and all accessories. 65,000 miles on the OD. tree damaged truck. $1750 for this one.

What should be on my check list for inspecting these motors? primarly what should the electronics check list look like?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Banned

I'd go for the second.
But it still depends, is this from a individual or a company?
The second one, if the seller is honest, most likely ran fine before it got wrecked. The first one sounds like it's been screwed with already.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

I would go for the second one as well... I am currently fighting to find parts, as I bought an incomplete motor.

If you end up going for the second one, tell me about the first? I can combine two motors and end up with one.

I am going with an 8.1L in my Jeep... I am the same handle on P4x4.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Alright I know im new to this forum but i am on others too...I would just tell you to have both motors pull the oil pan off and check rod bearings...i have been on that road before and they have pulled the pan off, and sure enough there spun. Some places its a never ending battle. doesnt matter who you deal with.

Quick Reply: Buying an Incomplete Takeout 8.1L L18