General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Nitroused or Boosted??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nitroused or Boosted??

Well I currently have mods in sig and was originally planning on going with a rather large direct port nitrous setup but have recently been contemplating selling the h/c and going boosted with a new h/c setup. The more I think about it I'm torn between the two and am not sure which to go with. I am looking for a solid 10 sec car and that's it. Brand new procharger setup is getting close to 8k for everything I'll need. I can go direct port for considerably cheaper than that.

What do you guys think? I would like some of your opinions.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a lead foot and like to go fast all the time the procharger sounds good. Nos is great too. You really have to just choose for what you want it for. Just a track car nitrous. But to fill it up soon adds up. Plus that procharger set up for a 10 sec car will suck gas. Turbo setup might be cheaper and just as much power if not more. I would go turbo rather than supercharge. Turbo with decent boost, rearend, and slicks will put you in the 10's if done right with forged internals.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had nitrous and sold that ****. It was fun as hell, but I got so tired of filling bottles, checking/waiting for proper PSI to spray, ect.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cammedss2000
If you have a lead foot and like to go fast all the time the procharger sounds good. Nos is great too. You really have to just choose for what you want it for. Just a track car nitrous. But to fill it up soon adds up. Plus that procharger set up for a 10 sec car will suck gas. Turbo setup might be cheaper and just as much power if not more. I would go turbo rather than supercharge. Turbo with decent boost, rearend, and slicks will put you in the 10's if done right with forged internals.
Turbos are more expensive (from what I've seen), and not many companies hang around...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _JB_
I had nitrous and sold that ****. It was fun as hell, but I got so tired of filling bottles, checking/waiting for proper PSI to spray, ect.
I hear what you're saying. I like the fact that I can turn the nitrous off if I don't want to mess with it though and not much else looks as cool as a well displayed and a well run direct port setup. I saw recently that Vengeance racing had teamed up with Nitrous Outlet and are now offering 92mm Fast intakes ported with the direct port system already run for only like $2200! And I would be getting around $800 for my FAST setup that I have now so really I could be making just as much power and going just as fast on the spray and only spend about half of what it would cost to go with a procharger...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I hear what you're saying. I like the fact that I can turn the nitrous off if I don't want to mess with it though and not much else looks as cool as a well displayed and a well run direct port setup. I saw recently that Vengeance racing had teamed up with Nitrous Outlet and are now offering 92mm Fast intakes ported with the direct port system already run for only like $2200! And I would be getting around $800 for my FAST setup that I have now so really I could be making just as much power and going just as fast on the spray and only spend about half of what it would cost to go with a procharger...
If you only race at the track n2o would probably be good. Otherwise the bottle drains very fast on the street as a 1/4 mile becomes 1/2 mile, 1/2 mile becomes 3/4 mile, ect. Either way is kewl, but if I had to do it all again I would put the money towards FI.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised nobody said BOTH!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Go with nitrous. That seems to be what you talk about the most and like the most because you save money. Install it hit the track and have fun. Oh and turbos are a lot cheaper than 8,000 on a supercharger, not trying to say anyones wrong. Maybe if you pay to have fabrication it costs a lot. I can custom build a setup for well around 3,000. Single that is. They are both funnn. Remember nitrous always has the on and off switch. Well good luck to you.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Nitrous. The bang for the buck is awesome and these cars respond incredibly well. Also, it won't change your car's street manners at all.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Nitrous. The bang for the buck is awesome and these cars respond incredibly well. Also, it won't change your car's street manners at all.
Very good points. I think I'll just stick with the spray
Old 08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

With your current mods I think it would be more cost effective to just add a nitrous setup to it.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my nitrous car. But you will get bitten with the FI bug eventually. Almost everyone who has a fast nitrous car starts looking at turbo kits and whatnot within 6 months. Its just the nature of the hobby.

I am currently making the decision on whether to go bigger CI bigger Shot, or just FI. It is a very tuff decision, in that both are fun, fast, and have their own pros/cons.

BTW, your welcome in advance for giving you absolutely no insight into your dilema
Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heads aren't cheap, and you'd definitely need a different set if you want FI. I'd go with nitrous also.

I'm going to spray sometime soon, but I got the PRC LS6 heads instead of the 5.3's in case I want to switch to a FI setup.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
Heads aren't cheap, and you'd definitely need a different set if you want FI. I'd go with nitrous also.

I'm going to spray sometime soon, but I got the PRC LS6 heads instead of the 5.3's in case I want to switch to a FI setup.
Yeah, I went with the 5.3's because originally I was going the nitrous route and the 5.3's are awesome for a h/c nitrous combo... I'm sticking with the nitrous!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want to go fast for cheap n20 is your friend. you can only put down xxx amount of power on the stock botom end and n20 it the easiest and cheapest by far!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Teching In

I would go nitrous because of the way your car is built now. You have 59cc combustion chambers which is not good for boost. If you want to go FI, then at a minimum you better plan on another set of heads to lower the compression back down.