General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help with buying a stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5SiX1
how would a 3600 hundred stall change gas milage? like if i coupled it with a shift kit and some 3.73's. i dont mind it going down a bit.. so long as it doesnt drop a huge amount.

You can expect to lose 1-3 mpg using a 3600 stall or higher depending on your driving style.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

If you want more than just a converter, want one that will last and perform call up Dave @ Yank and he will give you exactly what you need.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the 32-3400 when my engine was still stock and would highly recomend it. It comes with a free restall incase you descide to mod your motor later and want a higher stall range. It will drive like stock until you nail it. Then you better start a tire thread!

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000122
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

I have a Yank ss4000 on a H/C car and it drives fine as a daily. Hell i really dont understand what people are talking about when they say 4000 stalls are unstreetable. After 2 days of driving this car i was completely used to the stall and would not go smaller.Yank does make a quality product and i am very happy with it. Just make sure your seat is not reclined when you take it to the track for the first time, i did this and i was looking at the ceiling it hooked so hard, i wasnt prepared for the way it hooked up 1.62 60ft....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12secSS
It really depends on what you are looking for out of your vehicle. I would highly recommend you take a ride in similar cars as yours with different converter setups. This will give you and idea of the driving characteristics of a stalled vehicle, wether it is a 3000 stall or a 4000 stall. Next, familiarize yourself with converter terms, see Yank and Precision Industries websites for explanations. Lastly, talk to the converter company of choice to help you decide on the best converter for your application. I have seen many under-stalled vehicles, and many over-stalled vehicles, let the experts help you select the right converter for you.
Best advice you could have given..... i rode in a friends car with a Vig 3200 and loved it. I went with a fuddle 4k and the thing hit like a SOB. I could get easy 1.50-1.52 60's outta the car all the time. since then i have upgraded my trans and now have a PI-3600. I love it more then the fuddle. I cut 1.7 60's on bald street tires, and it pulls like a raped ape!! Im currently getting 26.8 MPG highway, and 19.3 city, and I still get the same MPG it was before. You have to ask yourself what you want from the car. do you want a fun street car that you can hit it here and there and have the extra power from the stall, or do you want a BadAzzMF car that you can launch at 4100 RPM outta the hole and carry the front tires. It all depends on what you are looking for in the long run. Also something to think about is the strength of your stock trans. The bigger the stall the more heat you will generate and I would recommend a trans cooler for sure. Keep in mind the bigger you go, the more stress on the trans. hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

YANK all the way.
Call and talk with Dave Myer and get his recommendation.
My guess for you it will be a SS4000
Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio Bird of Prey
YANK all the way.
Call and talk with Dave Myer and get his recommendation.
My guess for you it will be a SS4000
The Yank SS4000 hits damn hard! Its a badass stall conv.

Quick Reply: Help with buying a stall converter