General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who has bad junkyard luck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My time is too valuable for bone yards. Order new or used online and have it delivered to my house. I've had my 8 point roll bar for almost a year and it's still in the boxes in the garage.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose I did get lucky enough last time I went, I wanted a tail light harness for 97+, there happened to be a 97 v6 car there, only 4thgen fbody in the yard. I think FL keeps their yards rotated out, plus scrap is so high, what motivation do they have to keep the shells around after pulling motor/trans/etc.....
Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are not finding a lot of LS1's in junkyards because there are yards that specialize in fbody's, GTO's and Corvettes. Most of these are sold at auction to these specialty yards. I know, I work part time at one of these specialty yards. We get about 10 cars in a week during the busy months. The only cars we buy are Corvettes, 98-02 Fbody's and 04-06 GTO's. Some are fixed and sold as "Salvaged" some are partially repaired and sold as "Builders" and the rest are stripped for parts and crushed quickly. We're not a sponsor here so I won't mention any names but here is a look at a small part of our yard...

Sorry, I cannot get discounts for anyone. As I said, I'm a part time contractor.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I know, I work part time at one of these specialty yards.
Whats the address and whats security like at night
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ looks like an effing gold mine for C4 parts.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
^^^ looks like an effing gold mine for C4 parts.
There are entire C3, C4 and C5 sections along wih GTO and Fbody sections.

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Whats the address and whats security like at night
Not a sponsor so no address and they had one guy try it years ago. The dogs are nasty and he spent a good deal of time in a local hospital before being arrested, Not worth it for parts IMHO.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

I try my best to buy new, and if it's not available, buy it from someone on the forum who's parting out a car. I don't like dealing with salvage yards. It's always by phone bc there are no good ones local. I've found many times that my idea of a piece in good condition is pretty far from what they think is in good condition!!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the OP has bad luck with Sears too.
Key word in Junk yard, is, well, junk, of course.
Also, these guys know what they got. Most of the time the good stuff is already pulled. They pull the good engines and trannys and get top dollar for them. The rest of the crap they leave to the public.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

See to a salvage yard a body panel with no cracks is good condition. To some on the Internet a "good" panel is one with perfect paint that can bolt right on. No, that is a perfect part or what is also known as "new"

A part with scratches but that is 100% operable is "good". It's funny the number of people who will call and say they want a perfect right fender from a 98 Firebird in black shipped to them 3k miles away. We are honest and tell these people "you don't want to buy from a salvage yard you want new".

Number 1 rule for salvage yards....Paint condition is NEVER guaranteed. Keep that in mind and you can do OK on used mechanical parts. Oh and typically it's the front end of fbody's that get trashed so you'll find very few SS hoods or front fenders in "good" condition. Lot's of exhausts generally. The other issue (from a buyers perspective) with salvage yards who specialize in a certain type of car is that they know what is valuable so don't expect to "steal" something from a specialty salvage yard. They know everyone wants that 200 mph speedo or JL stealth sub box.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Isn't the whole car scrap value a lot lower on a vette? Due to the light weight and lack of steel?
It must be nice to have a local specialty yard. I went to over 30 yards in Texas and could not find the rear section of exhaust (since you mentioned it) My only guess is that they'd rather sell it for scrap.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned

See to a salvage yard a body panel with no cracks is good condition. To some on the Internet a "good" panel is one with perfect paint that can bolt right on. No, that is a perfect part or what is also known as "new"

A part with scratches but that is 100% operable is "good". It's funny the number of people who will call and say they want a perfect right fender from a 98 Firebird in black shipped to them 3k miles away. We are honest and tell these people "you don't want to buy from a salvage yard you want new".

Number 1 rule for salvage yards....Paint condition is NEVER guaranteed. Keep that in mind and you can do OK on used mechanical parts. Oh and typically it's the front end of fbody's that get trashed so you'll find very few SS hoods or front fenders in "good" condition. Lot's of exhausts generally. The other issue (from a buyers perspective) with salvage yards who specialize in a certain type of car is that they know what is valuable so don't expect to "steal" something from a specialty salvage yard. They know everyone wants that 200 mph speedo or JL stealth sub box.

Does the guy who owns the yard last name start with "S" and end with "T", if it does I didn't realize he had gotten that big, of course with his prices, he could afford to. I've seen him sell used thing for more then you can buy NOS.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are not finding a lot of LS1's in junkyards because there are yards that specialize in fbody's, GTO's and Corvettes. Most of these are sold at auction to these specialty yards. I know, I work part time at one of these specialty yards. We get about 10 cars in a week during the busy months. The only cars we buy are Corvettes, 98-02 Fbody's and 04-06 GTO's. Some are fixed and sold as "Salvaged" some are partially repaired and sold as "Builders" and the rest are stripped for parts and crushed quickly. We're not a sponsor here so I won't mention any names but here is a look at a small part of our yard...

Sorry, I cannot get discounts for anyone. As I said, I'm a part time contractor.

Such a sad sight.....

Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Does the guy who owns the yard last name start with "S" and end with "T", if it does I didn't realize he had gotten that big, of course with his prices, he could afford to. I've seen him sell used thing for more then you can buy NOS.

Nope.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Then it must be the guy below Philly that sell a lot on Ebay. I can't think of his name. I've dealt with him in the past and remember him not liking any outsiders going through his yard.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Such a sad sight.....

That's what came to my mind

I hate boneyards just because of all the nice cars that are destroyed there
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I love yards I just never find anything good, I somtimes go just to walk around "checking it out" lol one of these days Iam going to luck out.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I need to hit one of these up
Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I see those pictures with a "half full" attitude. Countless parts from those cars will be floating around/being used instead of being a twisted, useless hulk.

Junkyards around me have a handful of 3rd gens/4th gens, but most are either V6's or base V8's (3rd gen). I've been going a couple of times a month for 2 1/2 years or so and have only seen maybe 7 or 8 true performance F-bodies, and they were stripped (put to good use).
Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

^ same thing around here, not too many 4 gens that I've seen
Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

Is this yard located in Bristol,Pa? Is there a fellow by the name of "GUY" that works there? If so I have purchased from them. Good to deal with at least so far.
Rich

Quick Reply: Who has bad junkyard luck?