General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who has bad junkyard luck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Angry Who has bad junkyard luck?

I figured that I would rant after wasting time at junkyards trying to scrounge parts.

I went to a large junkyard in Waldorf, MD on Friday to get the e-brake handle screw and driver's side AC vent for my Z28 and a power mirror control switch for my Silverado.

I get to the yard 30 minutes before closing and try to find the screw and vent. The first couple cars were missing the screw and had different color interiors. After searching for nearly 20 minutes I find the right donor car.

The screw is an allen (didn't know, my car never had it) and I left both sets in my truck and don't have time to get them. I take the vent and realize that I can't make it to the truck section in time to get the mirror switch. We spot an RS spoiler that I might want but someone broke a wing off. Oh well, my friend pulls a trim piece for his LT1 and we head out.

There was a very nice LT1 SS with front damage that just arrived and my buddy wanted the spoiler. The yard won't pull it from the hatch and they want $1,000 for the hatch! We said screw that, paid for the measly stuff that we got and left.

Today I figured that I'd try the junkyard that is near my house. I have my 2allen sets and am ready. I tell them what I want to pull and the guy at the desk tells me that he just got rid of his last power mirror switch but there is a Camaro in the yard that's complete.

I find the car, put an allen to the e-brake screw and what the hell, both my Craftsman sets are standard. Somehow instead of getting both standard and metric Allen sets with my Craftsman tool set like I was supposed to they gave me two standard sets. The yard was closing, so I have to go back tomorrow to get one stupid little screw.

And finally, they've had that Camaro for a while apparently and I've needed a drivers side door panel for a while. Unfortunately, someone has left the driver's side door open so that panel is ruined and useless. Ughhhhhhh!!!!!

If anyone else has had the pain of the only part you need being broken, missing, or you just missed getting it by a minute please chime in.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the yards out here, you have to pay to get in and if you don't find anything its just tough ****. A lot of them wouln't even let you out into the yard anymore, you tell them what you want at the counter and they go pull it for you.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuff like that is why i just order the parts new. I have bad luck with junk yards... probably because they sell junk. Plus most of the time i can get it cheaper new, which is messed up.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its cool you can find our cars in junk yards...last time I went to any junk yards around here any LT1 cars had the motor/trans torn out and I have never seen a 98-02 car there, V6 or V8...its always the little things that cause the most trouble.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Ya sounds like just bad luck in general, sounds like my life...........huhhhh
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm there are just about ZERO Fbodies of any sort in any local yards. If I need something I just ask for it on here.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

was the junk yard in waldorf brandy wine or a different one? most junkyards in md suck a fat one but if your just trying to waste awaya day and know things that are swapable you can stuble across some great finds.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

I have good luck with one, it the type you go in and get whatever you want, the last of few. I go there a lot and buy little things, for that reason the guy has gotten to know me and the price gets lower every visit.
I've seen 2002 and down F-Bodies there.

It's funny the people who think junkyards are full of junk.
I've found obvious abandoned project vehicles with newly installed parts, even parts not yet installed in boxes. Again, only if they let you in to wander around.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lot's of Pick 'n Pull places here in the DFW area.

Only problem, most of the cars there are already stripped to bare frames.

I just look in the Trader of the newspaper or craigslist or on here and find one somebody is parting out.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to the Junk Yard down Flat Iron rd. I can't remember what it's called but the dude said they have a Couple Camaros and a Trans Am last time I went. I wanted an SS hood, left disappointed... lol.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

before i had my f-body i saw nothing but f-bodies in junk yards. Granted all LT1, but hey, still f-bodies.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Big yard is Brandywine Auto Parts in Waldorf, they are weird with their pricing. A part that is usually $20 they'll let go for $5 but want $1,000 for a $500 part.

I've seen aftermarket parts on F-bodies in the yards, but there must be some jerk-off that likes bending and breaking those parts or else the yard will mess them up with a forklift or cutting torch and sawzall.

I buy the little stuff used. It's genuine GM and the dealerships want tooo much for new stuff.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't live far from austin indiana, that where i normally go. It funny though cause after going through the whole junk yard i don't think there was v8 4 th gen. There was probaly 8 or more v6 4th gen cars up there that just goes to show that even though i'm a teenager i would beat all or 90% of those car where wrecked by stupid kids. Any person mature enough wouldn't buy a first time driver a V8 unless your a wealthy person. Oh well just make's our cars rarer everytime someone hands a set of 4th gen keys to some dumb kid who only interest is trying to get some or get people to look his way. IT'S NOT A CAR IT'S A LIFESTYLE SENT DOWN FROM THE HEAVEN'S ITS A CAMARO IT'S A WAY OF LIFE
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

I have yet to see a LS1 in the junkyard around here. It's a cool junkyard, you pay $1 to get it and you go to town on whatever. I never found anything useful in there, seeing as all I can find are 93-97 V6's and I'm usually looking for interior parts.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to get some LT1 rear disk brakes for my 95 as it has drums. The bolts were rusted and after an hour of my friend and I both yanking on it we gave up. I'm going to have to go check out a junkyard soon to get some random interior parts for my Camaros. I haven't been in a while.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Launching!

JUNK YARDS ARE HEAVEN...you can find all types of random **** ppl leave on recked f-bods, mind you I have never been the lucky one to find one...lol. A while back I remember hearing of a guy on here finding a GMMG on a recked f-bod
Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was at one this past saturday looking for those little metal injector clips after I lost a few while swapping my intake. There were probably 5 LT1's and 2 LS1 cars there but only one of the LT cars still had a engine in it and so I was lucky enough to find what I needed! It was kinda sad seeing that many having a bad life.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Come to cleveland PAP. We have probably 100 LS1 f-bodies alone in our yard. Along with gto's, vipers, vettes, and pretty much every exotic domestic you could think of.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My buddy scored some AFR 205s for $900....lucky SOAB
Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

I've had some luck finding:
- 1 th350 tranny from 80s Chevelle for my 67 ($50)
- 1 5-speed tranny from 81 Datsun 280zx for my project '76 280z ($75), different gauges, metric bolts/screws/linkages/t-stat housing.

I usually go to a yard which has a 1/2 sale event. The entrance fee is $2, after you pay, at the exit the employees basically frisk you and your tool boxes looking for catalytic converters and other crap.

All junk yard are pretty much picked up - there are a lot of hotrodders on a budget looking for old engines and trannies around here.

Quick Reply: Who has bad junkyard luck?