General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Port No Polish

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port No Polish

Well tommorow I'm going to be really bored sitting at home with my kids while my g/f at work. So I'm gonna do some lil stuff to my car.

Would it be wise to just port the tb and not polish it? I got a dremel and all that just don't have the right tool for polishing metal. I got it used only thing I got with it is sanding pads. I know polishing makes it smooth so the air flows smoother but even if it was ported it would still be a lil smoother and more room for airflow. But anyways let me know if this is a bad idea or not. It's almost 6 A.M. time for bed. )

Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

doesnt take long to polish.

Once you port it just slap on a polishing stone on the dremel, and work it for a lil while. Then put 2-3 layers of polishing compound, rub that off, then windex it.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have never done this before... TAKE YOUR TIME...
You will need more than sanding disks to do this job. Any hardwate store will carry what you need.

If you mess this up and cut the TB wrong, Your car will not idle correctly. Don't port the TB blade or around the TB blade where it will seal up.

This is a fun project, but you wont notice any power Gains at all, Period...

If you really just have the itch to play with a dremel, polish the Y Intake manifold. Im assuming your ride is a 3.4??
Old 08-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Yeah it's a 3.4 I tried to get the y intake off before but I couldn't get the last bolt it wouldn't budge. Maybe I should spray some wd40 on it to loosen it a lil bit for a couple days. I live on the same block as a big ace hardware so i'll go there in a couple hours when my girls get up from their naps and check their selection out.

BTW My main question really was is polishing required or is it just for looks? Was kinda confusing I guess.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

PB Blaster works wonders. Try that.

Ive ported quite a few TB's myself (my own and a few other guys off this forum), its not too hard work. I used Dremel sanding wheel, it kinda looks like a fan, if you can find one with a high enough grit it will have a somewhat nice polish to it.

Takes about an hour to do it. Get the 80 grit wheel and move to a lower grit when you get the chunk of material out of there.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The polish smoothes the air.. Ive read though that a mirror finish will not flow as well as a semi scuffed polish.

Any one know what im talking about?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
The polish smoothes the air.. Ive read though that a mirror finish will not flow as well as a semi scuffed polish.

Any one know what im talking about?

Your probably referring to intake runners on cylinder heads, which a smooth mirror finish is NOT ideal because not polished/semiscuffed surface helps fuel/air tumble, and atomize better for a more complete burn.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Craiggg
Well tommorow I'm going to be really bored sitting at home with my kids while my g/f at work. So I'm gonna do some lil stuff to my car.

Would it be wise to just port the tb and not polish it? I got a dremel and all that just don't have the right tool for polishing metal. I got it used only thing I got with it is sanding pads. I know polishing makes it smooth so the air flows smoother but even if it was ported it would still be a lil smoother and more room for airflow. But anyways let me know if this is a bad idea or not. It's almost 6 A.M. time for bed. )

The throttle body porters have stopped polishing, seeing higher power gains without polishing.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Porting a tb on a 3.4? You must not like the kids and will be really bored.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never polished intake side of anything myself.
But, I have polished exhaust side. Keeps carbon buildup down.
Also, polishing combustion chambers helps keep detonation down by keeping hotspots from forming.

But, no, polishing intake side usually hurts more than helps.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Yes I get really bored. We just moved into this house like 2 weeks ago and there ain't nothing to do here. Barely got any stuff here cause I use my dad's truck and trailer to move my stuff. But his injector pump went out. We loaded it up the other day on a trailer and took it to a shop. We pulled it with another truck but I couldn't use that cause one of the brake lines was leaking so we just fixed it right before we took his truck to the shop. Just really really boring. I watched Finding Nemo 3 times yesterday. But anyways thanks for all the posts.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Polishing is only going to help up around 7,000 rpm and up. Take a lesson from edlebrock, they don't polish thier dual plane intakes on purpose. They actually add block contours to the intake.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default read this.

LS1Tech Sponsor

Trader Rating: 6
Posts: 848 Back in the day, we spent hours after porting heads & intakes polishing the work to a mirror finish....then modern wet&dry flow tests with super high speed video shows that with a super polished surface the air flowing along the surface actually causes a disturbance (turbulance) so the efficiency of the flow is negativley affected even though the volume may still be good. Leaving a rough, or CNC mill mark finish actually breaks up the air molecues running along the surface so they act like microscopic "ball bearings" and the efficiency is maximized. Next time you can look at a high-end set of ported heads or intake you will see the roughness on the finish is left intact for this very reason. Visit: www.Rehermorrison.com & read the "tech talk" section.....there is a ton of awesome info there free for the reading. Our techs are sent to the Reher Morrison racing engine school (I'm a graduate as well) after being with us for at least one year & proving themselves. The R&D that goes on there is simply amazing for not only almost all catagories of racing, but extensive head work for GM & other manufacturers. The mirror finish on a ported throttle body should not have as much effect on a basically stock motor, but when every ounce of HP is the goal, follow what the experts have known for years.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by billyb
LS1Tech Sponsor

Trader Rating: 6
Posts: 848 Back in the day, we spent hours after porting heads & intakes polishing the work to a mirror finish....then modern wet&dry flow tests with super high speed video shows that with a super polished surface the air flowing along the surface actually causes a disturbance (turbulance) so the efficiency of the flow is negativley affected even though the volume may still be good. Leaving a rough, or CNC mill mark finish actually breaks up the air molecues running along the surface so they act like microscopic "ball bearings" and the efficiency is maximized. Next time you can look at a high-end set of ported heads or intake you will see the roughness on the finish is left intact for this very reason. Visit: www.Rehermorrison.com & read the "tech talk" section.....there is a ton of awesome info there free for the reading. Our techs are sent to the Reher Morrison racing engine school (I'm a graduate as well) after being with us for at least one year & proving themselves. The R&D that goes on there is simply amazing for not only almost all catagories of racing, but extensive head work for GM & other manufacturers. The mirror finish on a ported throttle body should not have as much effect on a basically stock motor, but when every ounce of HP is the goal, follow what the experts have known for years.

Great post!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

hi correction, this is a quote from an old post i made i did not write this it is a quote from someone else, i just deleted all the bull and just the true info .