General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Something I don't understand

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Something I don't understand

Okay, here's the deal. I hear all this crap about how all imports are ricers. Well I have to disagree. Take the 2JZGTE Mark IV supra for example. That car has an inline 6 with sequential turbo setup and makes 320hp and about 315tq. I think the stock ET time in a 1/4 is somewhere in the low 13's. Put a boost controller on it and you can kick an extra almost 100hp out of it. I think that there is a HUGE difference between a ricer and a tuner. An evo or an sti done correctly can be a bad *** car and still get excellent gas mileage and not lose alot of driveability. I just get so irritated when people try to tell me that a twin-turbo supra is a ricer. In my opinion, those cars are pretty as hell and can be made to be fast. But then again, you can make anything fast if you spend enough money. Now there is this dude here with like an early 90's model civic hatch with a cold air intake and a fart can and he thinks that thing is fast. That is a ricer. He thinks its fast cuz it is a 1.6L vtec out of a civic si. Him and his little buddies in their gay riced out civics and accords and such make me crazy. There is this dude here with a crx with a 1.8L with nitrous and he thinks that thing is the fastest car in the world or something. I laugh every time I hear that. Anyway, just wanted to get my opinion out there.:

Last edited by Swift_01_z-28; 09-01-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-01-2008 | 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all, slap a big wing on anything, everyone will call it rice. Second, you must not have been here long, as I've seen many members state they've seen Japanese cars run great times and no one called it rice. The Supra is one great example.
Old 09-01-2008 | 03:31 AM
On The Tree

I think most of us on here hate ricers. I've found that "Ricer" is as much a frame of mind, as it is what kind of car you drive. I've seen just about every kind of vehicle "Riced" out. I have also had many domestic vehicles pull the "Ricer" fly-bye, give "Ricer" excuses, put Japanese writing on a Mustang's, and all kind of other things generally associated with the "Ricer" crowd. I think the term "Ricer" has become a catch all phrase for anything thats an import. There are alot of really nice imports out there. Like the supra he mentioned. Unfortunantly for the import world, there are people that have the "Ricer" mindset that have taken a liking to everything Japanese because of a certain trilogy of movies. These people take econo boxes, slap a cold air intake, fart cannon, neons, and a huge tach, and think they have a bonefied race car. The worst kind of people with the "Ricer" mentality are the ones with a little money. They take a beautiful car like the supra mentioned above, and completely "Rice" it out. So I guess what I'm getting at is "Ricer" mentality= Dumbass. Thats my .02
Old 09-01-2008 | 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't been on here long, there you are correct. I think that outlawfireman and you make a valid point. These kids with these economy cars think that a big wing a few stickers and a cold air intake on their four banger makes it the end all be all of race cars. There are many japanese cars that are awesome and could wipe the floor with alot of the cars on here including my own. I just get so annoyed with people that drive these goofy little cars that sound like somebody is taking a really nasty crap every time they push the gas. Even a civic, if done correctly, can be fast and pretty. I mean all these people who think that just because they have a few dollars to spend and put a few small mods on their cars think they are fast or are the coolest thing in the world.
Old 09-01-2008 | 04:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Outlawfireman
Like the supra he mentioned. Unfortunantly for the import world, there are people that have the "Ricer" mindset that have taken a liking to everything Japanese because of a certain trilogy of movies.
Quadrilogy now! but yeah a Ricer is a person, not a car.
Old 09-01-2008 | 04:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought I heard something about a fourth movie. My girlfriend has an 07 G5 with an AEM cold air pacesetter header magnaflow high flow cat custom 2.5inch catback and a custom muffler. She asked me why I say all this about ricers cuz she drives a car kinda like that. I tell her that she is working on a car that she likes and is doing a good job. She doesn't run around acting a fool everywhere. She does enjoy racing every now and then though, which I can't lie, kinda turns me on. I appreciate every kind of car if done correctly. I mean to each his or her own. There wouldn't be so many makes and models of cars if everyone just wanted to go fast. So yes I completely agree the driver is what makes the car a ricer.
Old 09-01-2008 | 04:30 AM
On The Tree

Ricers don't have LSx engines. Wrong section boys.
Old 09-01-2008 | 05:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6addiction
Ricers don't have LSx engines. Wrong section boys.
Well you are right in a way and you are wrong in a way. This is a forum for general lsx discussions. U say that ricers don't have an ls series motor, that is not always true. Just because you have one doesn't make you immune to the ricer mentality as i like to call it. Just take a look on youtube for example there are plenty of riced vettes camaros firebirds you name it. Last time I checked they were powered by ls series engines. If this isn't the section for it, which one is?
Old 09-01-2008 | 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well you are right in a way and you are wrong in a way. This is a forum for general lsx discussions. U say that ricers don't have an ls series motor, that is not always true. Just because you have one doesn't make you immune to the ricer mentality as i like to call it. Just take a look on youtube for example there are plenty of riced vettes camaros firebirds you name it. Last time I checked they were powered by ls series engines. If this isn't the section for it, which one is?
Racers Lounge
Old 09-01-2008 | 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like Supras. IMO a Supra with bigger turbos, boost controler, etc. isn't rice, it's just a fast car.

Now take that same Supra, stick 20" wheels, neon, a roof high wing, and a body kit on it, and now you have rice.

To me, rice is more the mindset where someone focuses on un-necessary appearance parts to give the illusion of being fast, rather than speed parts to actually BE fast.

For example, I see a V6 late model Mustang running around with big wheels, a ton of stickers, and a huge wing. It's a domestic, but it's still ricey as hell IMO.

And why is a 5" exhaust tip needed ona car where the rest of the exhaust is 2"? Any car running one of those is instant rice, IMO.
Old 09-01-2008 | 10:37 AM
Banned

If they're rice, show me one with a fart can on the back, that isn't a 6 cylinder, which last time I checked wasn't an LS motor.
Rice is the mentality, if I can't make it fast, Ill make it loud and rev the crap out of it. Sort of like some of the losers with HD's and their loud pipe mentality.
Old 09-01-2008 | 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poconojoe
If they're rice, show me one with a fart can on the back, that isn't a 6 cylinder, which last time I checked wasn't an LS motor.
Rice is the mentality, if I can't make it fast, Ill make it loud and rev the crap out of it. Sort of like some of the losers with HD's and their loud pipe mentality.
there is plenty of lsx ltx camaros/trans ams that are rice. look around on this site there's a sticky somewhere with the "Ugliest f-body's" some with big *** wing, sportin spinners, and neons. rice.
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

To the OP, I think you do understand and most people on this site would agree. There are imports and there are ricers. There are also American cars that fit the description. We call those domestic rice.
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 406malibu
there is plenty of lsx ltx camaros/trans ams that are rice. look around on this site there's a sticky somewhere with the "Ugliest f-body's" some with big *** wing, sportin spinners, and neons. rice.
Search for "Oakland camaro Boyz" I think they're called.
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:29 PM
NKAWTG...N

Wrong section.
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
I just get so irritated when people try to tell me that a twin-turbo supra is a ricer.
A twin turbo Supra is rice. Why? Because it's asian. It's fast rice, but it's still rice.

Just like a Camaro or Trans Am will always be associated (to some) with mullets and hillrods, whether it's fast or not.
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:48 PM
NKAWTG...N

Ryan stop posting ATL! You'll make people jealous.
Old 09-01-2008 | 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Ryan stop posting ATL! You'll make people jealous.

I love abuse of power!