General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Running 110 octane.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Running 110 octane.

My mods are in my sig.(WS6) Question is I am going to go to the strip in a few weeks, and with the cooler temps and good altitude I am wanting to run some good 110 gas, plus Ive been wanting to run some for a while just for the hell of it, or should I say smell of it.

Do you think with my stock compression ratio I would be safe running this gas? Would I do any damage or hurt anything...ie burn out o2's?? I know and expect minimal gains, but Ive just been dying to try some out. Any suggestions??
Old 09-08-2008 | 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Bye-bye cats.

Also, It'll go slower if its not tuned for the octane.
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:04 PM
Launching!

mix it.

some friend race mustangs with cats every weekend now for 5 yrs. they mix 93 and 110. they have no problem with cats or cel. they are also spraying if that has anything to do with it.

i have also wondered this.

I do know a guy that has a 600+ dyno'd BMW Procharged I6 M3 that has cats. He has to run 110 for it to even idle. he has had no problems either. i know they are either on the bottle or charged, so i do not know by being n/a
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

As long as it is UNLEADED 110 Octane, it will not affect Cats. We get it from our local small airport.
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
As long as it is UNLEADED 110 Octane, it will not affect Cats. We get it from our local small airport.
its the leaded stuff that causes the misconception that it will mess up your car going with high octane.
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your car is not tuned for the 110 you will loose power. More octane doesn't mean more power. Your car will make the most power at the point just before it knocks, this is because it is using all the fuels stored energy. Now if you put in 110 or even mix 110 and 93 to get lets say 97 you are leaving unburned fuel to be wasted because the car can't detonate it. Now if you add a bunch of timming to the car maybe it will be an advantage. But with the mods in your sig. it is just a plain waste of money.
Old 09-08-2008 | 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

You wont gain anything, you'll just loose more money out of your pocket. High octane doesn't equal more hp and with under 11:1 n/a you don't need it. Engine isn't tuned for it. Higher octane = higher resistance to detonation that's all.
Old 09-09-2008 | 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
mix it.

some friend race mustangs with cats every weekend now for 5 yrs. they mix 93 and 110. they have no problem with cats or cel. they are also spraying if that has anything to do with it.

i have also wondered this.

I do know a guy that has a 600+ dyno'd BMW Procharged I6 M3 that has cats. He has to run 110 for it to even idle. he has had no problems either. i know they are either on the bottle or charged, so i do not know by being n/a
I was going to go 6 gallons 110 and probably 8 gallons 93. So it looks like I was going to do what they were doing.

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Yeah its unleaded....I wouldnt put lead in.
Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
If your car is not tuned for the 110 you will loose power. More octane doesn't mean more power. Your car will make the most power at the point just before it knocks, this is because it is using all the fuels stored energy. Now if you put in 110 or even mix 110 and 93 to get lets say 97 you are leaving unburned fuel to be wasted because the car can't detonate it. Now if you add a bunch of timming to the car maybe it will be an advantage. But with the mods in your sig. it is just a plain waste of money.
This is the answer I was waiting for. I think this is why Im not going to do it. Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted by stevo92z28
You wont gain anything, you'll just loose more money out of your pocket. High octane doesn't equal more hp and with under 11:1 n/a you don't need it. Engine isn't tuned for it. Higher octane = higher resistance to detonation that's all.
I knew I wasnt going to gain anything. I didnt expect to, I just wanted to do it for the hell of it just to have fun with some high fuel. Your right about the compression. I dont think Im going to do it. I was basically going to do it for the smell and maybe faster throttle response.

Thanks for all the replys!!/