General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I think I might be getting scammed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite part to all this when reading scam emails is how bad the grammar is on these things lmao. Classic.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if you read. I know its a scam, I just want to know if any one met the person/agent or w/e who was going to pick up the car. If they do come pick it up. I will have cops ready for the person lol. perhaps film it also rofl.

Last edited by xXLostSpiritXx; 09-16-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM

I think that those guys prey on craigslist ads. My car was on craigslist and i got the same exact e-mail... about 10 times. Some of the e-mails were duplicates in my inbox three at a time. Just delete and ignore. I dont think they can do anything with your info, Its just real annoying!!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Well i just got one so far. this one heh.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xXLostSpiritXx
So do you guys think the person will ever pick up the car?
Repeat after me: "They are TOTALLY un-interested in my car. They are ONLY interested in seeing if I will send them money that I only THINK I have received."
Old 09-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Yeah i know i am not giving him any money back haha.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sell anything of value nowadays and it's funny how the scumbag lowlifes come calling. I was selling a Rolex on ebay awhile ago and had a bunch of people offering several hundred more than the buy it now, but needed to pay by credit card. They would ask if I knew someone who had a business that could process the credit card sale if I wasn't able to. After so many weeks, card company would see it wasn't legit, then reverse the charge and you now owe your friend's business the cost of the sale. So beware of the jagoff credit card scammers too. Most of them were from SE asia.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 576 Likes on 458 Posts

I'd string their asses along for fun. First tell them ok, have them send the check, then claim it got damaged in the mail somehow and it's unreadable and the bank won't accept it. Get them to send another check. After you receive this one in "good condition", pretend to send the money out to them and claim the address they gave you was wrong because the envelope got returned to you by the post office. There's a million little things you could do to drive them nuts. Have fun with it.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I'd string their asses along for fun. First tell them ok, have them send the check, then claim it got damaged in the mail somehow and it's unreadable and the bank won't accept it. Get them to send another check. After you receive this one in "good condition", pretend to send the money out to them and claim the address they gave you was wrong because the envelope got returned to you by the post office. There's a million little things you could do to drive them nuts. Have fun with it.
That's pretty damn funny
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Angry

Ok so can someone explain the scam on this and how they scam this way im confused as to how this works for the scammer and the scam goes. Thanks for the posts they just told me i got scammed today:

Hello,
I have forwarded the information to my parents and they have accepted your price for the car .However, My parents left for an urgent business trip to Germany yesterday. But still no problem cos he made out a Certified Check of $22,000 before they left to Germany for car Inspection and pick up. He added an extra amount of $10,000 for the Agent for other necessary arrangement for the car . Once you receive the check, deduct your payment from it and forward the balance to the Agent to enable him offsets the expenses, charges and other necessary thing for the car .I will provide the their information you need once you receive the Certified Check.and all the paper will be sign in your presence.

Confirm this information so that the Certified Check can be mail to you as soon as possible.

Full Name :
Full Address :
Phone Number :

NB: Consider your Car sold to my parents . I look forward doing business with you.
Below is my Parent"s information that will be in the Title:
Dr Alan $ Sharon Jones
Foster Mellon trust company
Canadian General Supervisor on
International oil and gas industry.
1252 Haro Street ,
Vancouver Bc Canada V1G
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scammedin
Ok so can someone explain the scam on this and how they scam this way im confused as to how this works for the scammer and the scam goes. Thanks for the posts they just told me i got scammed today:

Hello,
I have forwarded the information to my parents and they have accepted your price for the car .However, My parents left for an urgent business trip to Germany yesterday. But still no problem cos he made out a Certified Check of $22,000 before they left to Germany for car Inspection and pick up. He added an extra amount of $10,000 for the Agent for other necessary arrangement for the car . Once you receive the check, deduct your payment from it and forward the balance to the Agent to enable him offsets the expenses, charges and other necessary thing for the car .I will provide the their information you need once you receive the Certified Check.and all the paper will be sign in your presence.

Confirm this information so that the Certified Check can be mail to you as soon as possible.

Full Name :
Full Address :
Phone Number :

NB: Consider your Car sold to my parents . I look forward doing business with you.
Below is my Parent"s information that will be in the Title:
Dr Alan $ Sharon Jones
Foster Mellon trust company
Canadian General Supervisor on
International oil and gas industry
1252 Haro Street ,
Vancouver Bc Canada V1G
What? Youre saying you got scammed like this? Anytime someone offers to buy your stuff, & give you a (fake) check for much more & refund the overpayment, its a scam. Only interested in scamming you for the overpayment, not your merchandise UNLESS youre dumb enough to ship it to them. Oh, & when they use the "MY CLIENT" phrase, dead giveaway. Scammers for some reason ALWAYS say MY CLIENT all over their emails. I have gotten plenty of these, from selling on craigslist & ebay. Dont even get involved in any transaction like this. Delete it & move on.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

well known scam
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Launching!

This is why I rarely use craigslist.
It seems like you get 10X more spam / scams than
legitimate interest in what you are selling.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they just want the cash, they don't care about the item for sale.

Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll tell you exactly how this works. It is called the Over Payment Scam. Search for that term.

They entice you by telling you that you can keep the extra money, or that the money is for shipping. And they send you a check that looks legit. They exploit a flaw in the US banking system where your bank must cash a check if they cannot prove it is fraudulent, within 5 day. Banks used to profit by keeping the money tied up too long, so this regulation allows you access to your money.

However, the bank may not find out that it is in fact a BAD check for several weeks after they have given you the money. Particularly with an out of country check.

Whatever money you have sent to the 'shipping agent', who by the way is also the scammer, you will have to pay back to your own bank that cashed the check. If you spent any of the money you recieved for the sale, you pay that back too. If you didn't spend any of the money for the sale it just disappears, because it wasn't real.

But the money you sent the scammer was real and you owe it back to the bank that cashed the check. You are responsible and the scammers are long gone with the 10k you gave them and no law enforcement will ever get it back for you. The bank is not responsible for your passing a bad check, you are. And as stated above, they were never really interested in what you are selling, only that you might 'help' things along by sending money to their 'agent'.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Teching In

god i hate these.
always gets my hopes up first when i see the title of the email saying interested in your car or something like that, then i read it and it pisses me off.

i feel bad for the people that fall for this **** too.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

EXACT SAME THING HERE

My 1998 WS6 trans am fell into the same BS. I still have the check for $15,000 sitting in my droor somewhere. You get hopes up for a 1 second and whoop--you realize that its a crock of crap for them to make money off of you.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Default this is a scam

I got a check and a contact info that is i the same i contacted the FBI you SHOULD DO THE SAME ALL OF YOU I CONTACTED THE NYC OFFICE THE HAVE JURISTICTION IN LONDON BUT THE EMAIL ADDRESS THEY USED HAD A USA IP ADDRESS
Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Go to revengecrabs.com and purchase there finest shampoo resistant pubic lice. When they give u the address to send the money in, put a cloth and the pubic lice colonies all over the inside of the envelope. Include instructions with the cloth and say that it is a gift and when you put it under your pillow at night and that it will ward off bad dreams.