General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I think I might be getting scammed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I might be getting scammed?

Just need opinions. Ive gave this "Morgan Benth" guy my phone number a few times and he wont call. Anyways he first contacted me threw a txt msg sent to me by txtmessenger.net (no number) he says get back if your car is still for sale and gives me her E-mail addy. So i email here simply "yes it's still for sale." and here is his E-mail back.

Thanks for your reply toward my request to your car, i am very happy to hear that the car is still Avaliable, Please my client will like to know the question below concerning the car.
1, Are you with the title paper Yes we do have the pink slip
2, How often do you service the car?. At scheduled maintenances
3, How many miles of the car at the moment?. 115,800 approx
4, are you the owner before placing it for sale?. Original Owner
5, Is the engine in perfect condition?. Transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago, no problems since
5, If yes, for how long did you use car?. Since 2000
6, Has the car have Any auto accident before? No accidents
7, what about mechanical defectives on the car? Rear left window does not roll down
8, your intension of selling the car? Got a new smaller car
9,Finally what is your bottom price $6900
NB.please get back immediately so that my Client will get
me posted on the payment/pickup arrangement as soon as possible
Regards.
Mr.Benth

So now i anwser all these questions and he e-mails me back this...

I have forwarded your vehicle information to my Client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time. I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle, with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, Hope the engine and body is in perfect condition?

He also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $12,000 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you, Because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle (car) $6,500 when payment gets to you and refund balance $4,500 the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.

After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer. Please confirm this and forward the following informations;

Names:
Address:
Phone number:

For payment to be made and send to you as soon as possible. Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be
highly appreciated
Regards

Mr.Benth
Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a grade A scam, one of the most common, get used to them if your trying to sell your car online, i got that a lot when i sold my GTP...never trust someone contacting you remotely for a "client"...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Yup, a fairly well known scam.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol oh sweet someone is going to give me more money than what i'm asking for and then ask me to give them back the remaining...... lol yup sure thing buddy only dose this work in scamvile
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

K, I didn't get to suspisious till i he said hes in a hurry and obviously giving me more then im asking... lol then he says 12,000 deduct 6500 and send back 4500 im thinking 6500+4500=11,000 lol. He does got my name phones number and adress... he could'nt do anything with that stuff can he?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ImStock
he could'nt do anything with that stuff can he?
Nah, you're fine there.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

dang this sucks. I was kind of exited someone was buying it. lol.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah i got some questions you and whoever else came across something like this. He said he sent the check already. The guy started off somewhat similiar. But he was not rushing me.
When i get the check what i plan to do is just put the funds in my bank account(the full amount) Then transfer the money to another account and close the the previous one. Then! if the bank gives the ok and says everything is alright, I am going to give the agent the rest of the money and the car. If they say i can't do it this way then I know its a scam. He just said he is going to contact me when i am suppose to get the check. So i am not going to answer or just say i didn't receive it yet. So i am pretty much doing everything right? If this is a scam i want to Screw this guy back.

This is the address i got from him.
Dr Alan & Sharon Jones
Foster Mellon trust company
Canadian General Supervisor on
International oil and gas industry.
1252 Haro Street ,
Vancouver Bc Canada V1G
Let me know if similiar also.

Thanks, we got to stop ******** like this..
Old 09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah don't accept any Checks. Theres Fake Cashiers check. Bank will Cash it but your held Responsible 2 weeks later it bounces Then your out..

I had some dude Try Scam some Rims off me on Craigslist. Ill send you Bank Certified Check and Ill have my Mover come Pick up the rims. I was like how about just send him with cash no response.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM

To avoid check scams, call the issuing bank before you accept the check and wait for the check to clear before you transfer the car into the buyer's name. I read this some where and this is exactly what i am planning to do plus more.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

thats a scam, I just had a buddy go thru some bs with somebody from canada and the email was exactly the same...

he was trying to sell his SS
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ice=&cardist=0

to make a long story short after my buddy sent the guy his address on where to send the check the guy sent him a email couple days later saying that his bank is saying the check had already cleared and the if he didnt go ahead with shipping the car he was pressing charges... ( no check had been recieved at this point)

the check came a few days later.. looked like a real check from colonial bank, ended up being fake
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM

So right now i know its a scam. What should i do? when i get the check? is their a way i can give it to the bank to let them know or w/e ideas you guys come up with.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats definately a scam. Call the police and get them to set up a sting. Can put a tracking device in the car or just arrest the guy who picks it up. Wire fraud is a federal crime.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Classic Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud. Although these things can come from anywhere now.

All scams carry a sense of urgency so that you don't think too long. They are not at all interested in actually getting the car. This sort of scam exploits a loophole in US banking law. Your bank is required by law to make the funds available to you after 5 working days unless they can prove the check is bogus. This is well intentioned and meant to keep banks from holding your money for an unreasonable time before clearing the check. However, it can take weeks before the actual check is found to be fraud.

In the mean time you have forwarded the scammers the money for freight, taxes, fees or some other reason. Then the check is bad, the money in your account is gone and you are responsible for paying your own bank back the money you sent the scammers.

This is a multi-Billion dollar per crime that is going on all the time and getting more sophisticated. Most people think that if your bank gives you the money then it's their fault and responsibility if the check is bad. Wrong, you get stuck!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Thats a smart idea thanks lol. I might do that haha. I know a cop also.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy was selling his cam on craigslist and some guy sent him 2 850 dollar money orders and just asked him to send him the extra money back. those checks were totally bogus.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM

So do you guys think the person will ever pick up the car?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I hate these scams, I can't believe there are people out there who make it their job to do this...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

yeah that ***** fucked up i got a few of those when i sold my last car ****** annoying
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xXLostSpiritXx
So do you guys think the person will ever pick up the car?
Just search Google for check fraud scam and sift through a few results and see if you are still in doubt.