General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

02 z28 to GTO or what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the car that is paid off and just use the extra $$ for mods!! I love the Camaro, but the GTO is alot more comfy. Trade ur Z for a 05/06 model if you really have your heart set on a GTO
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

I guess my (biased) input would be to get the GOAT, but I love my GTO and my M6. I would prefer the LS2 cars to the LS1's, but there are a lot of fast LS1's out there. The weight difference is minimal between the two, just know what you are getting into, and check out all the problem areas before buying the Goat. The IRS is nice for going around corners and riding around town, but they aren't all that strong (not like your current 10 bolt is either though). Get (or keep) whatever is going to make you happy, and enjoy the **** out of it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

well, i decided to keep my Z. i test drove the goat and while it really is way ahead of my car in terms of build quality, it will never be a camaro. having an m6 would be nice, but i can always get one later. this was my first camaro and as stupid as it may be, it means a lot to me for a few reasons. i'm going to be doing full suspension, full exhaust true duals dumped, possibly a cam/stall, and fixing up the paint a little. my next question(s) since you guys are already reading, does anyone know of the best and most reasonable paintshops in the chicago land area? I do not want to get ripped off on that. Also, i'm going to look into getting an SS hood for my car, so a direction on the best prices for that would be great *yes, i know, search, and i will*. Besides that, I'll post up everything after it gets done within the next month or so. Thanks for the opinions guys!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Apoxi
well, i decided to keep my Z. i test drove the goat and while it really is way ahead of my car in terms of build quality, it will never be a camaro. having an m6 would be nice, but i can always get one later. this was my first camaro and as stupid as it may be, it means a lot to me for a few reasons. i'm going to be doing full suspension, full exhaust true duals dumped, possibly a cam/stall, and fixing up the paint a little. my next question(s) since you guys are already reading, does anyone know of the best and most reasonable paintshops in the chicago land area? I do not want to get ripped off on that. Also, i'm going to look into getting an SS hood for my car, so a direction on the best prices for that would be great *yes, i know, search, and i will*. Besides that, I'll post up everything after it gets done within the next month or so. Thanks for the opinions guys!
Congrats on a wise and responsible decision. Celebrate with irresponsible modding!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive the GTO and see how you like it. They're different enough that you really need to see which you personally like better. Don't forget to ask yourself if you just want to trade because it's new, or because you want something different. Is the GTO really any better or just new?

Edit to add: Just read your last post. That's about what I would have expected. The GTO is newer and bigger, and maybe better build quality, but if it's not what you want, none of that matters.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

good choice
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

nothing like having a camaro baby.....i will tell this a m6 ls2 gto gave me a good run for my money the other night on I-10 !! those ls2 are some beast!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Glad you kept the Camaro. Once you stall it, you will never think twice about wanting an M6 IMO. A stock converter car is BORING, and I will never own one again.

The only nice thing about the GTO is you'd be getting a better interior, and it would be a better "investment." You will get more of your 5k back out of the GTO than you would dumping 5k worth of mods into your Z. But, the Z will be a lot more fun
Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep the Z!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Glad you kept the Camaro. Once you stall it, you will never think twice about wanting an M6 IMO. A stock converter car is BORING, and I will never own one again.

The only nice thing about the GTO is you'd be getting a better interior, and it would be a better "investment." You will get more of your 5k back out of the GTO than you would dumping 5k worth of mods into your Z. But, the Z will be a lot more fun
You are right, but at this point, I am looking at keeping this car for the rest of my life....
Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the z. even if it was a gto with the ls2, id still say keep the z.

$5000 is more than enough to fix your problems and still have $$ to spare for mods
Old 09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

keep the z... Gto's suck.. had one..
Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fccs
I would defiantly keep ur camaro over a 04 gto especially. First off it will be SLOWER. That is a fact. 2nd off, if you want an new car id suggest looking at a vette and dont bother changing over to something more expensive and slower.. The gto will be more comfortable over your camaro but thats about it.
He is 100% correct. i think the goats are great cars but they have SERIOUS traction issues. One of my best friend use to have a 04 GTO m6 with cat-back exhaust. I had no problem walking away from him from a dig or a roll and he is a better driver than I am. keep the Z and make it faster.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep the Z. Use the 5k to put in an M6. 70+ to 50+ miles and a 5k difference, I would keep that Z. Cant say much as mine only has 34,500 miles on mine.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigblock4-speed
keep the z... Gto's suck.. had one..
Uhm...yeah

Originally Posted by Onyxhawk
He is 100% correct. i think the goats are great cars but they have SERIOUS traction issues. One of my best friend use to have a 04 GTO m6 with cat-back exhaust. I had no problem walking away from him from a dig or a roll and he is a better driver than I am. keep the Z and make it faster.
We are tire size limited, not necessarily traction limited. On 275/40 DR's and drag bags, I went 1.87 60' last weekend. One of the other GTO's here with a completely stock rear suspension and drag bags went 1.55 on his way to a low 11 second pass on the bottle.