General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

f bodys and snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, either people here don't understand throttle control or they must have worse winters than Montana. I have driven my camaro through the last two winters and the only time I had any trouble was when I went to my 17x11 tires (mistake quickly learned). I had no problem carving through the snow. The only thing that was a downfall was if its a t-top car it can get rather cold Throttle control, and proper breaking technique and you'll be fine.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I prefer my RWD camaro over my old FWD taurus in the snow. At least if the drive wheels spin you don't lose everything, your steering still works.
yea but yours is a v6, when i had my v6 it did ok in the snow, im not sure but im assuming the m6 ls1 is going to be a bitch in the snow, but since it only snows here once, maybe twice a year, its not a problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you mod a car and then drive it in the snow??? I know some people have to, but the salt eats up your car. Save some money and buy a cheap DD....keep your f-body out of the snow.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
In orlando? Whatever you say homeslice. We barely get any hurricanes in this part of the state. And if we do, by the time theyre here, theyre dead. You get snow every year. Guaranteed.
i was sayin depending on where you live. my buddies down in West palm batten down the hatches every year snowy winters are rare here. usually just black ice
Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

When i bought the Z I knew I'd need another car. I found a 97 mitsubishi Eclipse rs 5 speed that a co worker of mine was selling. He couldnt get it to start. I offered him $650 cash and he took it. It turns out all the car needed was the positive battery cable cleaned off and it was good to go. He was pissed when he found that out. He Definitely could have got an easy $3,000 or $4,000 for this car. Its nice to see 38 mpg every once and a while lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

I never tried driving my fbody while snowing, but the day after a snow I tried to drive my 383 to school and work. 383 + bald 275s + posi = no good in snow. It was lowered also, and twice I got stuck just backing out of my driveway on to my street. Couldn't get the car back in the driveway either. It was stuck in the middle of my street for over 6 hours. Luckily I live on a dead end street so there isn't any traffic. It's also an incline, so I had to back down the street, around to the alley, and drive that way out.

I also slowly turned on my way to work and spun completely around in the middle of the street.

I have quite a bit of RWD experience (every one of my vehicles) and it is hard with any more than an inch of snow on street tires.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I was in highschool I used to drive my 91 Formula with an open diff. year round. Wasn't too bad as long as you pop it in nuetral at stop lights and drive cautiously. I even drove the car up to wisconsin in a snow storm to go snowboarding. I'm currently trying to sell my truck so I can get a fifth gen next year. If that happens I may pick up and LS1 as a DD until I get it then turn it into a track car.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

You would be better off rolling it over and using it as a sled
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5SiX1
i was sayin depending on where you live. my buddies down in West palm batten down the hatches every year snowy winters are rare here. usually just black ice
oooooh man, that black ice is AWFUL! Our yearly semi floods of the neighborhood streets... I can definately do without though. What part of Wa are you in?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never once had a problem in snow with my car. the only thing that sucked for me in the winter was that my metal hurst pistol grip was cold as f**k in the morning.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I drove my Formula for about 4 winters, they were mild thank god. The only time I got stuck was when I tried getting out of my driveway. It's a slight incline. Now to get it moving once I was out of the driveway, that was a different story.

Once out of my driveway I would put the car in drive it would just sit there and spin. It slid down the road too, coming out of my driveway the road is dowhill, into a 8+' drop off into a creek bed! Not fun! Driving in the snow was kinda fun, then it became an annoyance.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Launching!

I drove mine for the first 3 winters and it was really no fun. Definitely not impossible to do, but it sure did not make commuting to work a low-stress event. It was a happy day when I bought my Wrangler and made the Camaro a winter garage queen........