General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

f bodys and snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f bodys and snow

alright im kind of new to the site so bear with me if this is in the wrong section im just not sure where else it should go

currently i have my 00z28 and my 02 grand am gt as my daily driver....

heres my situation i put my GA on craigslist for sale or trade and some guy with a 94z28 asked me to trade straight up heres his link (http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/842351347.html)

i havnt seen it yet because its about an hour or so from where im at i still gotta drive it and all that but thats not really my problem how are these things in the snow? i never tried driving one in the winter before everyone says there oh so terrible but everyone that told me that has never even owned a f body so im looking for real opinions with people that have some expierience

bottom line am i a complete idiot for wanting to get it for the winter? i love my f bodys would be nice to have lt1 for the winter and the beast for the summer

thanks all!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

You need a winter car other than a z28. I've had bad experiance with z28's and snow. Grand am's are atleast front wheel drive.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Where you located, if your careful you are fine. I have driven in the snow about 3 times and while it sucks, you just have to be careful.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol yeah, fbodys arent made for the snow,lets just say last time it snowed i got stuck at the bottom of my driveway until it melted!!havent been in the snow again,luckly i can borrow my pops truck for the winter!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont even bother driving a V8 fbody in the snow unless you have snow tires like blizzacks. Ive done it once because I got stuck in a storm that snuck up suddenly and it sucked.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't have winter tires, then your f-body will be pretty useless in the snow.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

drove my 93z in snow once. made it about a mile because it was level, but then i got to the tiniest incline in the world and i got stuck. had to push it to a parking lot and leave it there for the night.

had i had snow tires and some weight in the back i mighta done better, but i still don't think it'd be a great idea.

unfortunately my trans am is my only car(i'm 17 and in highschool making minimum wage) so hopefully it fairs alright this winter. i'll probably buy some snow tires and put some weight in the back. ls1's are also much tamer at low rpm's- not all that crazy torque, so i think it'll be a lil better.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

my fbody sucks in the rain just think about driving in snow. rear wheel drive no weight in the rear, your just gunna spin the tires, keep the grand am i have a lumina for the winter it does great in the snow.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Launching!

I drove in the snow all winter long in kansas last winter. It's not near as bad as people are making it out to be, just take it slow and responsible and you'll be fine. Just don't try to start from a dead stop on pure ice, you don't move, lol.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

All you need to drive in mild snow up to 10" in an Fbody is some good winter tires and a brain, I have owned nothing but RWD vehicles and know how to navigate out of bad situations. I turn off traction control cause its worthless, go very slow but more than enough to keep up your momentum cause if you go too slow you will get stuck, and get running speeds going up hills, time lights etc...oh and Posi traction helps a lot in snow, it just sends your rear end flying off to the side though but gets you moving. Oh and adding sand bags im talking 300+lbs of sand bags to the rear ends also helps a lot. Make sure you have your gas tank filled to as that adds weight in the rear. Brake with your transmission, and gently use the E-brake, since if your front wheels brake they will lock up easily and then you wont have any control over turning. Just some of the things I learned and use when driving in the winter.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the advice everyone those were some pretty quick replys im in michigan i know that it wouldnt be the best snow car but i didnt know they were that out right terrible for it and it will be drivin daily while the ls1 is parked so i just think i should stay away

needless to say though i think you all talked me outta it lol im not gonna keep the grand am though im still gonna sell it and buy something else a friend of mine just told me he was sellin a 93 ranger with 80k and its and extended cab for 1500 so im probably gonna be smart and get that
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I drove all last winter in the snow in my 1le with 19" wheels and shitty tires. when it snowed i went down to about 15 psi and i never really got stuck. yea, i would be doing upwards of 80mph at stop lights sometimes but it never did get stuck. Its not safe, but its do-able. I had to go to school in an ice storm and when i came out from class it had snowed 3 inches of freezing rain then snow. I took my air down to almost flat, and got all the way to 4th gear revved way up at about 130mph before i got unstuck. I ended up going through a set of tires and doing a lot of fishtails. With snow tires its not that bad. I would take a manual over an auto any day though.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZV8
All you need to drive in mild snow up to 10" in an Fbody is some good winter tires and a brain, I have owned nothing but RWD vehicles and know how to navigate out of bad situations. I turn off traction control cause its worthless, go very slow but more than enough to keep up your momentum cause if you go too slow you will get stuck, and get running speeds going up hills, time lights etc...oh and Posi traction helps a lot in snow, it just sends your rear end flying off to the side though but gets you moving. Oh and adding sand bags im talking 300+lbs of sand bags to the rear ends also helps a lot. Make sure you have your gas tank filled to as that adds weight in the rear. Brake with your transmission, and gently use the E-brake, since if your front wheels brake they will lock up easily and then you wont have any control over turning. Just some of the things I learned and use when driving in the winter.
dang i just replied to everyone elses before i seen this makes me wanna reconsider since a few of you have hope i mean i know itll be terrible but im not stupid it has abs and thats the most important thing i dont care about getting stuck i have a grizzly 660 thatll rip anything outta anywhere i just dont wanna get this car then end up just destroying it into nothing over the winter i guess i got a little bit to think on it
Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

i dont know if this matters but the rims on the car in the ad will go on my ls1 and the rims on the ls1 will go on that the tires i have on my wheels are brand new bf goodrich g force kdw's there meant for street but look like they have more than just traction in the street
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never driven "in snow" but i do DD my car. I dont think these cars navigate well in 6+ in of snow, but once the streets are plowed and theres 2in or so of snow and ice, you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8

but also your 4000 stall helps out a lot too!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that 94 your looking at will suck in snow. stall might be too big, cars lowered, and 160* therrmostat might kill you in detroit winter
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Now im deff. glad I picked up some studded snow tires on Firebird wheels for my 01 Trans-Am WS6! Im also gonna put some bags of sand in the trunk aswell for some extra weight...PA winters can get pretty nasty, hopefully all goes smoothly.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drove a 94 vette stalled and 3.73's dd for 5 yrs and my 99z for 7yrs. It's all in the tires, with SNOW tires no problems. I bought blizzak snows this summer for my 99, for $66 a piece from tire rack. It will be my first winter with snows, but my vette got around even in 8inch snowstorms on 285 gooodyear gsc's. With 335 michelin pilots, mmm not so good. My 99 i put one of my 125lb dumbells in the back as ballast. Even with the weight, the kdws' weren't that good in the snow. Last winter was snowiest in Milwaukee history. I've run a 160tstat since 96, no problems even though we get well below zero in WI winters. Just my .02
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer my RWD camaro over my old FWD taurus in the snow. At least if the drive wheels spin you don't lose everything, your steering still works.