General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

X or Y...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X or Y...that is the question

I have a bone stock 98 LS1 with the exception of a cut out and a homemade lid (which will be getting replaced). Now here is my problem.....The exhaust on the car now is hacked up pretty bad. It has a 2" Ypipe on it that looks like the guy before had done when he took the cats out. Then he put this cut out in it and choked it down again. Now I want to get the exhaust redone and on my last Z I put a 3" ORY on and it sounded pretty good. But would it hurt me to go ahead and put a X or H pipe on it being stock. I figured since I want to get the exhaust redone anyways that I might as well get it done the way I want becasue eventually I will be putting LT's, heads , and a cam...So do I just do the X or H now with the manifolds....or.....waste money on a Y-pipe that will be getting replaced when I get LT's anyways......
Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont waste your money on a x or h pipe if you still have manifolds, you will have to hack it up if you put long tubes on later. also how is your cutout "choking" it??? just save up and get longtubes and x pipe at the same time.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu
dont waste your money on a x or h pipe if you still have manifolds, you will have to hack it up if you put long tubes on later. also how is your cutout "choking" it??? just save up and get longtubes and x pipe at the same time.
because the Cut out is 2" and the pipe is 3"....I wish I could go out right now and take picture of it then you would understand why I want something done....its bad..The guy who owned the car before me really didnt care about doing it right...just how it looked on the outside....but.....I figured it would be a while until I put LT's on it but for the time being go ahead and do the exhaust the way I want it. I have a good Exhaust guy he can cut that pipe back when I get LT's. Its gonna get replaced either way...just wanted to know if a X or H would hurt the performance since its still stock.