General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Questions on Sound of my TA

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Sound of my TA

Ok guys im sure this has been talked about before but my friend has a 2000 c5 vette it has a tsp dyno tune, ms4 cam, tsp headers and x-pipe, and straight pipe all the way back out. My ta is a 2000 and has a tsp dyno tune, ms4 cam, prc heads, fast intake, pacesetter headers and y-pipe. Ok the vette at wot sounds amazing like an indy car just screaming, i want my ta to sound the same wat do i have to do??? I was just gonna put an x-pipe and run true duals out the back, no mufflers just like the vette. Would it sound almost the same just that screaming indy car sound??? Plz would like to know before spending $400 on the exhaust!!! Thanks guys
Old 09-25-2008, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your car have a catback? If so it prolly already does sound like that but may not realize it being inside the car. If not then I'd just put a cutout on it, it'll definaetely scream wot then.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I would try a cutout first. Like mine is a free manual one that all you would have to do is weld it up and see if that is what you are looking for and then if it is then get an electric cutout and put it in it's place. If it's not, then sell the exhaust and get the TD as long as you go all the way to the tips and don't dump it or else it will drone inside the car and not be near as nice. But a cutout with a cam makes sooooo much of a difference over a catback that it's unbelievable. It literally took my breath away the first time i opened mine up. I would literally call it ten times as loud no lie and the cam really comes to life. Also you can gain up to 20rwhp and 10rwtq or so depending on your power now. Good Luck!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

O yeah i have dual electric cutouts on my y-pipe just like the qtp one it also has a cutout in the i-pipe. With the cutouts off the y-pipe open its louder than the vette, sounds like a true drag race car which i like for the track but gets annoying on the street but i just want that sick indy car sound.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Duals help the sound alot. And with your mods you may pick up some power too.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, the duals give the car a way better tone. I have only been in one and it was a TH400 TA with about 406wrhp and 400rwtq. Loved every minute of it and it had the perfect tone. I would truly recomend going all the way back to tips or else it will be the exact same as your cutouts before. Also the one I rode in had dynomax bullets between the axle and the tips on both sides.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Well if i do true duals the setup will be the electric cutouts still there for the track i will just have the exhaust shop convert the y pipe to an x pipe then run straight 3in pipe under the axle out the back with tips. But i just wanna be sure that it isnt gonna sound the same as the dual cutouts, i wanna be sure that its gonna sound lile a screaming indy car.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

as many mentioned in previous threads, you probably won't get that sound because the underbody of the vette is shaped different from that of the fbody. but my recommendation is to run headers, hi-flow cats, dual pipes with an x crossover, and put some resonators/bullets on each side close to the end of the car. sounds like a lot but I think it'll sound good. my last TA had headers, hi flow cats, and a GMMG catback. she screamed at wot, with a higher pitched tone... not as deep as those track sounds
Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks guy also just wondering, would the tips affect the sound?? Also could i put tsp vette headers and vette x pipe???? just an idea?? i really want it to have that high pitch screaming sound!!! Yall probably get that by now lol
Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Under the axle is a bad idea.. unless you never plan on lifting your car. You can make the provisions to do it (bolt-in couplers so you can remove a section of pipe) but overall it's just not as nice as TD over the axle. The problem is, over the axle is expensive.

LTs, orx, and straight pipes is going to be annoying. Get an ory, a nice catback, and leave the cutouts for when you want to be loud. with a quality ory/catback you'll never have to worry about over-the-axle clearance, and you can lift the car whenever you want without having to crawl under it to undo your under-the-axle pipes.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Launching!

i always wondered why vettes had that exotic sound up high too, and i fiqured it was a good x-pipe setup w/a nice catback.

So as soon as i got my formula, i ordered the bassani duals and bolted it up to stock manifolds, and sure enough it has that "exotic" pitch to it pretty much from 3k rpms and up. go wot, and man does it sound even better. worth every penny imo. When i add longtubes, i expect it to just get better......