General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SFCs & drive thru car washes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Wash your car by hand and don't be lazy.
I work at a Dodge dealer so I can get a good hand wash whether I do it or the new car cleanup guy does it. If I am busy enough working, its cheaper just to pay the cleanup guy $10 to wash it. On Sunday, cant do that & didnt plan on driving the camaro to work much this week so it ended up being a waste of $7 tryin to get a quick wash at this particular car wash. I am so glad my car is not lowered, it sits low enough as it is. I was visiting mom & dad in Clio on Sunday so I went to the car wash right in town by the RR tracks. I am sure you know which one I am talking about. I actually worked at that same car wash 5 years ago for a very short time. It was much nicer then. The place has really went down hill bad since then. They wont be open for long the way theyre doing things. BTW, I am actually from Clio, but live in Mt Morris.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through a touch less car wash once when i was in a hurry, never again! You might wanna check your lower control arms if you have aftermarket ones with relocation brackets even at stock height. It snapped the grease fitting clean off on my car and was a PITA to fix.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

automated car wash!?? what were you thinking?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

I don't see where the damage can be done if no actual cloth or brush touches the car
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Speed
I don't see where the damage can be done if no actual cloth or brush touches the car
It's all in the pressure on the water. High Pressure Water will force some of the dirt on your car into the clear coat and into the paint, like little bits of sandpaper. Some ******** kid at a dealer blew the clearcoat right off my bumper using the same type of "gun" as the DIY Car Wash that uses like $1.50 in quarters. General rule of thumb to remove dirt is just to use a garden hose with no nozzle on it at all and let the water "sheet" it off. While I do think using a garden hose with a regular sprayer on a "light" setting is not too bad, using a HIGH PRESSURE water gun is suicide for paint job.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used an auto car wash 3 times on the Camaro. 3rd time was after I lowered it and the Y pipe got hung up on the rails. It bent the Y pipe a little getting the car off. The car wash people weren't very nice either. Something along the lines of get out of the way, see all the business backed up behind you. Needless to say Rain Tunnel Express will never get any business from me. I hand wash all 3 of my vehicles after that.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
I have used an auto car wash 3 times on the Camaro. 3rd time was after I lowered it and the Y pipe got hung up on the rails. It bent the Y pipe a little getting the car off. The car wash people weren't very nice either. Something along the lines of get out of the way, see all the business backed up behind you. Needless to say Rain Tunnel Express will never get any business from me. I hand wash all 3 of my vehicles after that.
woulda told them to go **** themselves put up something saying no lowered vehicles.. dicks
Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
It's all in the pressure on the water. High Pressure Water will force some of the dirt on your car into the clear coat and into the paint, like little bits of sandpaper. Some ******** kid at a dealer blew the clearcoat right off my bumper using the same type of "gun" as the DIY Car Wash that uses like $1.50 in quarters. General rule of thumb to remove dirt is just to use a garden hose with no nozzle on it at all and let the water "sheet" it off. While I do think using a garden hose with a regular sprayer on a "light" setting is not too bad, using a HIGH PRESSURE water gun is suicide for paint job.
Some high pressure sprayers or powerwashers that you buy at a Lowes or Home Depot are actually too high pressure to wash cars & can do damage to the paint. Somewhere in the 3000 psi range. Most car washes do not use these high pressure sprayers. Car washes use somewhere in the 1500-1800 psi range. The key is dont get the nozzle real close to the finish when rinsing the car. Hold it back a few feet & you wont have a problem.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I work at a Dodge dealer so I can get a good hand wash whether I do it or the new car cleanup guy does it. If I am busy enough working, its cheaper just to pay the cleanup guy $10 to wash it. On Sunday, cant do that & didnt plan on driving the camaro to work much this week so it ended up being a waste of $7 tryin to get a quick wash at this particular car wash. I am so glad my car is not lowered, it sits low enough as it is. I was visiting mom & dad in Clio on Sunday so I went to the car wash right in town by the RR tracks. I am sure you know which one I am talking about. I actually worked at that same car wash 5 years ago for a very short time. It was much nicer then. The place has really went down hill bad since then. They wont be open for long the way theyre doing things. BTW, I am actually from Clio, but live in Mt Morris.
Yeah i know which one your tlaking about. My dad took his car there for a wash and they did a real shitty job and were rude about it. It used to be nice a long time ago... but like you said it went down hill.

Whatever happened to Hardcore Motorsports anyway? It was on Clio Rd.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Yeah i know which one your tlaking about. My dad took his car there for a wash and they did a real shitty job and were rude about it. It used to be nice a long time ago... but like you said it went down hill.

Whatever happened to Hardcore Motorsports anyway? It was on Clio Rd.
Yes, rude indeed. It doesnt feel good to just pay to have it washed & then have to rewash it What did I just give them $7 for? The whole drivers side is still dirty. I was pretty hot about it. I wanted to speak with the owner, the number they gave me was disconnected. I called the car wash number to speak with the manager the next day, guess what? That number is disconnected too. So I dont see them being open for much longer. Well, I still got the (worthless) free wash ticket they gave me. I Hardcore Motorsports is out of business. They had a lot of cool cars in there too.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

car washes recycle their water too.....I'm sure it is filtered in some way, but I never liked the idea of used water cleaning my car.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Some high pressure sprayers or powerwashers that you buy at a Lowes or Home Depot are actually too high pressure to wash cars & can do damage to the paint. Somewhere in the 3000 psi range. Most car washes do not use these high pressure sprayers. Car washes use somewhere in the 1500-1800 psi range. The key is dont get the nozzle real close to the finish when rinsing the car. Hold it back a few feet & you wont have a problem.
True, but the 1500 PSI will blow the dirt and containments on the car into/under the clear coat. That's where the damage comes in. While auotmated washes and DIY wands may not be high enough to blow the clear right off, it's still doing subtle damage that is cumulative. If if you do use DIY, use the "Final Rinse" selection only for getting the car wet and for the final rinse.