General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Finally fixed the A/C after 6+ years

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Finally fixed the A/C after 6+ years

With the exception of a few days, that's accurate. So the first thing I notice was that the belt/pulley/something was squeaking real bad while driving, but was perfectly quiet before the maintenance. They replaced the pulley during the maintenance, I don't think they did anything with the A/C tensioner. I have a Gatorback belt and I've seen some threads saying it tends to whistle. After driving a few miles the squeaking was replaced by a soft whistling. When I parked, adding gas made it sound as if the pulley was free-spinning. Out of curiosiy I called the local stealer and they quoted me list of $9x for a a/c trensioner, but they will come pretty close to an internet price if pushed.

So I guess I should try a non-gatorback A/C belt and if the noise continues replace the tensioner?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gatorbacks are pretty good, I wouldnt switch it out. Jack the car up, and get a can of WD-40, and spray each pulley til theres no more noise. Its either the pulley or whats behind it.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for sticking with the Gatorbacks!! NASCAR guys must use them for somether reason than the "They look good, while going fast" factor

oh yeah, NBM f-bods...are faster than they look
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I replaced the old gatorback AC belt with a new gatorback -0377 belt and the noise appears to have been eradicated I didn't spray it with WD40.