General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water pump and alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water pump and alternator

my girl has a 99 TA.. .and when you start it.. it has a rough idle and has some coolant and oil leaks..

took it to get checked out and they mechanic said that its just the water pump and alternator.. could that cause the rough idles and horrible sounds that are coming from the car..

the alternator has been changed out 4 times in the last 4 years.. the first 3 were autozone alternators.. the last one was dealership and has lasted the longest.. what could cause the alternator to go bad so soon.. keep in mind that when we replaced the alternators.. we also replaced the battery...

the batter in the car now is less than a year old.. and when last tested at sears.. it was good..

Also they wanted $917 to replace the pump and alternator.. i have done the alternator the last few times.. so thats easy enough to change.. but what about the pump.. is that easy on a 99?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, do it yourself. Only takes about 90 minutes. I think it was easier then the alternator because it's right on top. Make sure you get a new T stat too.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
PSJ
On The Tree

change the water pump yourself.

very easy only 6 10mm bolts.

tighten them 11 foot pounds on the first pass and then 22 foot punds on the second/final pass.

If you buy the pump from the dealer....it will be new, include the gaskets and have the thermostat already installed.

PSJ aka Marc