General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coryprine
hopefully this does the trick... no chance of a broken valve spring or anything right? or what would my symptoms be like
you would loose power in the higher rpm ranges if it was a spring.. also would be loading up.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool thanx for the help
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

cool thanx for the help
no problem!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

well i just went and got a bottle of seafoam... ran it in the car for 45 min at 2k rpms... didnt change anything... noise is still the same... i figured it should of gotten a lil better with the treatment.....
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Before you change the oil you have in there now, read ChocoTaco's write-up on Seafoam. It works wonders and is a great internal engine cleaner. Its in the General Maintenance and Repairs Forum.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

i read it but i was under the assumption that it should of quieted down the lifters some concidering how hard i was running it thru for 45 min idle to wot up and down the road..lol... still noisy as ****... im wondering if its something else.. i hope not.. but i still have to wonder..
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Default Lifter Tick

I have the same problem only with my 3800. Nasty noise and I have tried both Marvel Mystery oil and Lucas and still running 10W30. Ill have to try the 5W30. BTW what exhaust do you have in the video?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same exact noise as in that audio clip posted earlier... Turned out I had a bent pushrod, but I drove around with that noise just getting louder and louder... until I heard a loud metal cling-clong-ding! - pushrod snapped and I didn't get all the remains of the pushrod till I upgraded my heads.

Do yourself a favor and take a peak underneath the valve covers and see if the pushrods look nice and straight and not worn down.

Check out the pics in this thread - https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...926&highlight=

Last edited by Dmitriy; 10-27-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dmitriy
I've had the same exact noise as in that audio clip posted earlier... Turned out I had a bent pushrod, but I drove around with that noise just getting louder and louder... until I heard a loud metal cling-clong-ding! - pushrod snapped and I didn't get all the remains of the pushrod till I upgraded my heads.

Do yourself a favor and take a peak underneath the valve covers and see if the pushrods look nice and straight and not worn down.

Check out the pics in this thread - https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...926&highlight=
pulling the covers would be worth this.. its not hard, and could save you a lot of headache..
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

i read it but i was under the assumption that it should of quieted down the lifters some concidering how hard i was running it thru for 45 min idle to wot up and down the road..lol... still noisy as ****... im wondering if its something else.. i hope not.. but i still have to wonder..
did you change to a thinner oil?

Originally Posted by Friedrice
I have the same problem only with my 3800. Nasty noise and I have tried both Marvel Mystery oil and Lucas and still running 10W30. Ill have to try the 5W30. BTW what exhaust do you have in the video?
3.8s are horrible about this... my old firebird did it during winter time bad.. it was sooooo
Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

i changed to 0w30 today and same thing... its not getting worse it just seems to tick faster as i rev... it is a 3800 yall lol
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

ok i think ive gone nuts... i spent the last 2 hrs with a screwdriver to my damned ear.... not a sound from the valve covers... it seems to be louder under the car near the starter area.....

a year ago i replaced my starter and when i took the old one out the aluminum nose piece was broken off... inside the housing i am assuming.... COULD this be what i am hearing.... wouldnt it be loose and rattling rather than one place and increasing in tapping when i rev..... help me guys im at a loss..... like i said... it appears lounder underneath....
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok i think ive gone nuts... i spent the last 2 hrs with a screwdriver to my damned ear.... not a sound from the valve covers... it seems to be louder under the car near the starter area.....

a year ago i replaced my starter and when i took the old one out the aluminum nose piece was broken off... inside the housing i am assuming.... COULD this be what i am hearing.... wouldnt it be loose and rattling rather than one place and increasing in tapping when i rev..... help me guys im at a loss..... like i said... it appears lounder underneath....
its not your starter..... if it is louder underneath.. you might have a problem....

firgured you had a 3.8... lol common problem.. mine had it too..

like we said, take your covers off and look..
Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

ill pull the covers tommorow.... what am i looking for when i pull them?.... what will be a teltale sign that a lifter is bad or not...

im just leaning away from valvetrain probs. since i didnt seem to hear it in the valvecovers.. i dunno
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

>bump
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracked flywheel can tick from underneath. Bearings will not come and go they will only go from bad to worse.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

pulled the covers today... only thing i could find was a pushrod had a dent opr something in it... like something scraped a piece of themetal off of it... i replaced the pushrod but its still doing the same damned thing
Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

pulled the covers today... only thing i could find was a pushrod had a dent opr something in it... like something scraped a piece of themetal off of it... i replaced the pushrod but its still doing the same damned thing
chances are if a pushrod had a dent in it, something caused that and that isnt the only thing wrong.. is it bent? or a scrape or what... pics?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

its like a small scrape... im gonna change all the lifters and push rods this weekend.. is it something thats fairly easy?... ive done a lot of mechanic work but never internal engine... ive read that i just gotta pull the upper and lower intake manifolds and the valve covers.. oooor do i have to yank the heads too?