General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem

I've recently replaced the thermostat as that was sticking. Everything was running fine up until recently when the Radiator cap on the bottom of the radiator began leaking so I replaced that as well. Now when I start it up and after it gets warmed up the temp slowly begins to rise and won't go back down. The thermostat is brand new so I dont see how it could be that? When I have the radiator cap off from what I can tell coolant is being sucked in and circulating. I know I don't have a blown headgasket. What else could be the problem o what am I missing?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Also the fans are working fine
Old 11-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pythias
Also the fans are working fine
it could be a bad thermostat sometimes they come out defective. radiator and check all lines so its not spilling. check all water caps.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've recently replaced the thermostat as that was sticking. Everything was running fine up until recently when the Radiator cap on the bottom of the radiator began leaking so I replaced that as well. Now when I start it up and after it gets warmed up the temp slowly begins to rise and won't go back down. The thermostat is brand new so I dont see how it could be that? When I have the radiator cap off from what I can tell coolant is being sucked in and circulating. I know I don't have a blown headgasket. What else could be the problem o what am I missing?
Not enough info.

Does the temp rise without stopping and if you let it it will go into the red? if so, your t-stat is not opening, get another one
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Not enough info.

Does the temp rise without stopping and if you let it it will go into the red? if so, your t-stat is not opening, get another one
Just sitting and letting it idle then yes but it takes awhile. 5-10 minutes The temp will go up a few degrees then stop then go up some more, it takes awhile for it to do this but it does and will go into the red.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1passion
it could be a bad thermostat sometimes they come out defective. radiator and check all lines so its not spilling. check all water caps.
Everythings good no spilling or leaking.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Just sitting and letting it idle then yes but it takes awhile. 5-10 minutes The temp will go up a few degrees then stop then go up some more, it takes awhile for it to do this but it does and will go into the red.
radiators prolly cracke sounds like the simptums sice it stops a little bit then starts climbing again.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

It takes about 10-15 minutes for the t-stat to open the first time, when idling after initial start-up. If your t-stat is NOT opening at all, the temp gauge will never stop getting hotter after it starts to move, it will move steadily into the red.

Does the coolant ever boil over when it gets real hot?

The t-stat could be partially opening up too.

Simple check to see if this is a t-stat issue, take the t-stat out and bolt the housing back up. Start the engine with the radiator cap off and see if the coolant is flowing. It should be. Put the cap back on and go for a drive for about 15 minutes. It shouldn't get hot in 15 minutes of driving.

Then put the t-stat in a pot of boiling water and using a cooking type thermometer gauge see if it opens FULLY when its supposed to.

Checking the temp with an OBDII or other scanner is a good idea, just to make sure you're not chasing something that isn't there. Could just need a new temp sensor.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
It takes about 10-15 minutes for the t-stat to open the first time, when idling after initial start-up. If your t-stat is NOT opening at all, the temp gauge will never stop getting hotter after it starts to move, it will move steadily into the red.

Does the coolant ever boil over when it gets real hot?

The t-stat could be partially opening up too.

Simple check to see if this is a t-stat issue, take the t-stat out and bolt the housing back up. Start the engine with the radiator cap off and see if the coolant is flowing. It should be. Put the cap back on and go for a drive for about 15 minutes. It shouldn't get hot in 15 minutes of driving.

Then put the t-stat in a pot of boiling water and using a cooking type thermometer gauge see if it opens FULLY when its supposed to.

Checking the temp with an OBDII or other scanner is a good idea, just to make sure you're not chasing something that isn't there. Could just need a new temp sensor.

I'm going to try that with the T stat tomorrow,

I think that it IS actually getting too hot because the fans stay on awhile after I turn the car off, or would a faulty temp sensor cause them to do that as well?

I also plan on checking the water pump tomorrow as well, taht could cause it to overheat as well correct?

Thanks for all the info
Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I think that it IS actually getting too hot because the fans stay on awhile after I turn the car off, or would a faulty temp sensor cause them to do that as well?

I also plan on checking the water pump tomorrow as well, taht could cause it to overheat as well correct?

Thanks for all the info
yuuup but if its the water pump it should be leaking. therefore not enough water in ur ride.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the info
All you need to do is feel your intake when it gets hot and the fans stay on, if you can't keep your hand on the intake, then it IS really getting hot. If you can keep your hand on it, your not getting hot and its probably a temp sensor.

I do believe a bad sensor WILL keep your fans on and make them come on and off when not needed. NOT POSITIVE on that, maybe someone else will know.

The water pump will always pump water, they don't stop working, they just start leaking.