General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS inop & TCS off

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop & TCS off

Every now and then when I hit a hard enough bump, my "ABS Inop" light will come on and my TCS will be stuck in "off". After any given time, minutes to days, my "ABS Inop" light will turn off, and I can turn my TCS on again. I usually have my TCS off anyways, but I don't like my ABS being inop. What could be causing this?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Well if we were talking about a c5 corvette, I'd definiely say bad electronic brake control module (ebcm). Not quite sure what that equates to on an fbody though...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
KBG
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Every now and then when I hit a hard enough bump, my "ABS Inop" light will come on and my TCS will be stuck in "off". After any given time, minutes to days, my "ABS Inop" light will turn off, and I can turn my TCS on again. I usually have my TCS off anyways, but I don't like my ABS being inop. What could be causing this?
mine has done the same thing ever since I installed the S60 in my car.....I'm thinking of shimming the sensors in the rear and seeing if that helps
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Mine was doing that a while back as well.
It turned out to be a bad connection.
Get under the car, unplug the sensor connections and reconnect them.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check all your wheel speed sensors, one might be getting loose, or its dirty. my right front sensor had a lil dirt and gunk in it. some electric parts cleaner took car of it.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, check your speed sensors in the front. I had the same thing happen to me so I replaced the front hubs on both sides and it fixed my problem. But my lights were staying on all the time
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome thread. I just hit a dip while driving pretty fast and the car took it just fine but my ABS INOP and TCS immediately illuminated. And now the TCS switch does nothing.

I'm sure its a loose speed sensor. I'll post again if that does not solve the problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I posted a thread on this too. I had a problem with it ... and it just went away. I hit a bump and the lights came back on again. Gonna try everything that was said already and see if that's the problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

I had this problem with the abs inop light on a 97 V6 I owned back in the day. I check my abs plugs, fuses, and sensors.... Noda, the light kep comming on. Then one day I noticed one of my rear tail lights bulbs were out. Not thinking this was the issue and just the need to replace the light so that I would not get pulled over by the fuzz, I replaced it that day. Low and behold, my abs inop light did not come back on. I am guessing for some reason, the light being out triggered the abs light and was causing that problem. So with what others were saying to check, add that to the checklist as well, cause you never know.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

I literally JUST replaced my tail light bulbs last week. So I don't think that'd be the problem. I had one or two go out at the same time so I just replaced them all.

Quick Reply: ABS inop & TCS off