General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please!

Ok so i have been having a problem with my car running. It seems to be a misfire... and this didnt happen till after i put the headers in. I was on break today at work and was checking all my plugs and wires they all seemed to be snug, but when messing with the front driver side plug i hit a wire right next to it that goes into the block with a plug, right in front of the header. What is this wire go to because i realized that when i touched it or it moved barely it would cause my car to act all funny idling up and down. The part is on the driver side part of the block and a wire comes up to it an plugs in. The wire plugs into a connector that snaps in place and then there is a nut that goes around the part assuming it is used for replacing it or removing it and there are three little prong things that i noticed, and realized the whole thing was loose and two of the prongs just broke off... so i got the car home and i need to know what this little part is and where i could buy it at, any help is appreciated

Last edited by Fast98Z; 11-07-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

i believe it is the temperature sensor, would that cause my engine to run bad? It almost feels like its going to die when idling.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast98Z
i believe it is the temperature sensor, would that cause my engine to run bad? It almost feels like its going to die when idling.
The temp sensor can't make the engine run bad. You dont even need to have it plugged in.

But since you just put headers on, a common problem is a spark plug wire touching or laying on the header somewhere, that can cause arcing. Make sure none of them are touching. Best way I found was to spin the spark plug wire while its attached at both ends, but spin it at the coil. It should pull the wire away from the header.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does it look like this?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

it looks like that but only with 3 prong holes...
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be the ECT sensor you're talking about, make sure the connector is on tight. '98 has a 3 wire sensor - is the temp gauge working OK? The PCM needs it's input.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

The temp guage isnt working
Old 11-08-2008, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

Default temp sensor

A temperature sensor can cause your car to run poorly, lets just say it reads -40, it will add a lot of fuel since the colder the temp the more fuel you will need. (alot of times when the quit working they read -40) This will make the car run very rich. I would fix that first since you know its broken then go from there.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is it ECT sensor and it should be throwing codes for sure! But if prongs are broken get a new one-should take care of your problem as the ECT is part of engine managment.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

I didn't have mine plugged in for 3 days while I waited for my new one to come in. I drove my car and it ran perfectly. I had my heads rebuilt and when we got the heads back on and went to screw the temp sensor back in, the ****** sheared off inside the head. I left it in the head and drove it for 3 days. I have a 1998 also.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

i replaced the sensor and car runs fine... other than the fact it is misfiring...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

i replaced the sensor and car runs fine... other than the fact it is misfiring...
Got a SES light on or a code? Misfire is usually plugs or wires. How long since a change?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Banned

Still misfiring???

Did you check to see if any plug wires are touching the headers anywhere?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

plugs and wires are tight, i moved them around a bit shoved them back in tight while twisting also. i will have to reset my tune and return it to stock in order to get all the codes because i have deleted the EGR code and it keeps coming back... Could o2 sensors cause a misfire? also when the misfire happens you can hear a clicking noise from the drivers side heads which a shop told me if you could hear the click it would be the wires, if not then it would be the plugs... also had told me that if i take a mist spray bottle and spray water on the wires you cold see which ones are arcing but at the same time i dont want to just spray water on anything electrical... would this be safe way of checking or no? thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

plugs and wires are tight, i moved them around a bit shoved them back in tight while twisting also. i will have to reset my tune and return it to stock in order to get all the codes because i have deleted the EGR code and it keeps coming back... Could o2 sensors cause a misfire? also when the misfire happens you can hear a clicking noise from the drivers side heads which a shop told me if you could hear the click it would be the wires, if not then it would be the plugs... also had told me that if i take a mist spray bottle and spray water on the wires you cold see which ones are arcing but at the same time i dont want to just spray water on anything electrical... would this be safe way of checking or no? thanks in advance
Its ok to spray the water from a misting bottle. Do it when its darker out might be easier to see the arc, I've actually never had to do it but I heard alot of people do that.

Advance Auto sells very good wires for $36.00.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

got the codes tonight, there were three... 0140,0160, and 0405. The 0405 is the egr from the delete and the other two are the rear o2's from the ORY, this is after i returned my car to stock tune. I figured it might show for a misfire but maybe its because it only misfires at idle and not a constant misfire over and over. I guess i will have to try to mist the wires and see what happens. Could the o2 codes be throwing my engine off? i dont think it would but then again idk. Also we left the rear o2's plugged in and just tied it up to the frame... could that cause it? we did that to see if it wouldnt throw a code. thanks