General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hissing noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hissing noise from rear

Alright, this hasn't happened to me in a while, but since I am going to be going for a 2080 mile road trip... I figure that I should at least get some peace of mind prior to the drive. I have a 98 formula, and on hot days I would notice a loud hissing noise coming from the back end of the car, the first time I heard it I thought I had a flat. After checking the tires, I found the noise was coming from the trunk (i assume), and started thinking there was a hole in the gas tank and the evaporated fuel was venting out. I then turned off the car to try to see if I could hear it better over the exhaust, and the sound went away. I turned the car back on.. and it started up again.

Around the same time, I had a cooling fan issue (due to a broken wire from the PCM), and the car would run abnormally high, the gauge showed maybe 230, and the outside temp was maybe 105ish. Fuel gauge was around 3/4 to 1/2, and it only did it when the car was running. Obviously since the cooling fan is fixed, and the ambient temperatures are lower.. I havn't heard it in a while, and hopefully never will again. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it could be?

A guy at work said that GM sometimes pressurized the fuel tanks to prevent sloshing in turns or something, and maybe it was just a normal noise from that, and then a few posts on here said hissing may be a warning sign for a fuel pump going bad. Thoughts?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Resident

Did you check your Speakers in the back hatch? they make weird noises when they get messed up.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Did you check your Speakers in the back hatch? they make weird noises when they get messed up.
I have those unplugged, good idea though.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

no other thoughts?