General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Motor Mounts. You be the judge.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mounts. You be the judge.

Around 6 months ago I could not finish the installation on my headers until i had my motor mounts installed. (I did not have the tools to do this so i had a professional mechanic shop do it). So after i had them do that everything fit and ran perfect which it still is up until recently. One of my O2 Sensors is going bad so i got under the car to check if it was just a loose cord, hell i dont know what i was looking for now but i'm glad that i did look because i discovered this.

Your guess is exactly right if you said to yourself "There is no nut on the end of that bolt". Obviously i'm pretty pissed about this but I can't imagine it running 6 months with no problems unless it wasn't in fact a big deal seeing as how all of the pressure from the motor is on the bolt itself.

My guess is
A. Vibration made it come loose
B. The mechanic forgot
C. The mechanic got lazy and didnt think it was necessary

My personal opinion is B, what do you guys think... and is this safe to drive on for at least a month?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

The dark spot looks like stripped threads. They probably cross threaded it and figured what the hell, and left it. Then the nut fell off.
In all reality the nut only holds the bolt in, the only force on the bolt is up and down. And for the sake of discussion you could put a bead of silicone in place of the nut (to hold the bolt in), and it would never ever give you a problem.
They probably thought the same thing when the nut got tight, but it fell off.
Paying for that is not acceptable I agree.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know man, Id think they forgot it or lost it and didnt say anything. Id go back adn ask them.