General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wierd misfire, but no code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wierd misfire, but no code?

My car started missing a couple weeks agoon the dyno while I sprayed it. It had a mis at about 4500 and just laid down, I just thought it was a one time thing, never did that before. So on the way home I laid into it pretty good through 1st,2nd and 3rd (no bottle) it was fine through first, missed at about 5900 in 2nd and missed from about 4500-4700 in third so I got out of it. This has been bugging the crap out of me, but its too cold to go in the garage to pull the plugs and actually check them out. But could this be a coil issue, or do you think its just the plugs? Its just strange that it only happens in certain gears after its been wot for a gear or two. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Launching!

if you don't have a tune for the new setup you got then that could be the cause and it is very wot specific... before i got my tune my car would run perfectly fine at cruising speeds... but when i went wot it would tend to miss at high rpm's you can definitely feel a miss it's no fun... any more info as far as if you have a tune... and i would check the plugs usually not coil problems
Old 11-24-2008, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably just a cracked plug I'd check all of them first. You can get no codes with a random missfire at various loads and RPM. I had a similar problem with a missfire only under high load (high gear, generous throttle) wasted alot of money on wires and head scratching pulled the No. 7 plug and it had cracks in it. Pull the plugs and check them it's free and quick to do. Coils almost never fail. If not the plugs, check for cooked or arching wires and go from there. Also could be a bad O2 but that should throw a code so I'd check the plugs.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Ok, yea thats kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the info, I'll eventually wander out into the garage when it warms up later this week.