General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lights flicker...

Old 11-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights flicker...

The lights flicker when driving but battery and alt are fine i have no idea what is wrong. Please help if you can.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

My car has 16000 k on it. Does the same thing. Don't know what might cause it. Does'nt seem to hurt anything---At least not yet.

At this point I really don't give a ****....Don't drive it much---Still runs----....Fluck it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Without being sarcastic I think it could have something with the way the alternator is charging the battery. Nothing to worry about. You only seem to see it happening with the headlights on.???? Me too.....
Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the grund strap next to the fuse box under the hood and the one on the lower frame. Also check the exciter wire from the alt if its worn or broke it will cause lights to flicker. Check the hot wire behind the alt to ensure tightness if its loose it may cause a fire.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Mine did the same thing before I replaced all the wiring from the battery to ground, alternator and fuse block. Actually I did not replace the wiring, I just replaced all the connectors with new soldered on ones.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

mine flashes a bit too.. always has.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

At least on some of our cars the headlights have an issue when the AIR pump turns on - causes a quick flicker or dimming of the lights and then back to normal. I had it from the time the car was brand new until I pulled all the AIR pump stuff off the car. I've never had the problem since - not sure if this is your issue but I think you can check it out by pulling a fuse if you don't want to pull everything out of your car.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Check the grund strap next to the fuse box under the hood and the one on the lower frame. Also check the exciter wire from the alt if its worn or broke it will cause lights to flicker. Check the hot wire behind the alt to ensure tightness if its loose it may cause a fire.
+1. A friend had the problem and it was a loose ground strap. Didn't prevent the local autostore from selling him a battery, though.

Your problem could involve more than flickering lights, though. On my friend's car, the poor ground caused pulsation in fuel pump output and spark causing some rough running.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I've been having the same problem for the last couple of weeks, only happens when headlights are on. Basically my lights are dimming slightly when I let off the gas, both dash and headlights dim. Is this what you guys are talking about?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That's what I used to have - see above for what fixed my problem.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the info guys I'll be trying to fix this problem today, happy thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the advise i will give it a go and see if it fixes it.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 PM
wrencher

If you have the air pump still connected (not tuned out & removed) it will do this.
The PCM turns it on to test the system at certain intervals. The amperage draw of the pump coming on will dim the lights. This might be what your experencing......
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM

I removed the egr system but left the pump. I remove the relay for it tho. Would it still do that?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same problems for over a year and my car even had a slight miss at idle. I had the battery and alt checked and everything checked out perfectly fine.
I upgraded my battery to an Optima, checked wires, tune up etc and nothing would help...I always thought it was the Alternators voltage regulator but never felt like replacing the Alternator.
Well Today I finally got time at work to put my car on the lift and change it out, the exciter wire broke immediately from the plug so I replaced that, got everything bolted back up and amazingly I have no miss at idle anymore and my lights are bright with no more flickering at all.

So yes go ahead and change it out, more than likely you will break the little nut hair thin wire coming from the plug on the top of the Alternator so go ahead and fix that as well.
That should take care of your problem.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its the alternator. I had the same problem with my car. I pulled the alternator and had it tested and it was charging fine. Cleaning and replacing connectors helped. I replaced the wire running form the battery to the alternator as well as the ground. The flickering stopped but came back after a few more months. I pulled the alternator again and had it tested.. it was fine. Well I just kept driving it for almost a year like that until one night when the light flickering became soo bad it looked like I was flashing the lights on and off and the car started to miss at idle. After going through everything I pulled the alternator and had it tested. Again it tested Prefectly fine!! Regardless I bought a new Alternator and the Flickering completely went away and has not done it since.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

I think every case might be a little different.

My lights were flickering bad and had been for about six months. Then last week my car was having a really hard time starting. Even had to jump it off once. When it did crank on its own it reset my radio, trip meter, and made my gauges go crazy for just a second. Very typical of a dead battery.

Once I replaced the battery all the flickering lights and dancing volt meter stopped. I'm not sure if this means that my volt regulator isn't bad in the alternator or not, time will tell. But for now all seems well. Let me know what you think about this. I will update this if the problem returns.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM

When Im sitting in traffic hardly moving my lights will dim, then go back to normal only to dim again within 3-4 seconds, then go back to normal. About 3-5 minutes later the same thing. Have a new battery and alternator. My power steering pump was leaking on top of the alternator a bit, but i fixed that also. I havent had time to check but hopefully its a ground or some crap.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine too was the alternator. It tested fine at the Zone but when I replaced it the flickering stopped and it has not done it since.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

My car has the same issue i have volt reading on my radar detector some times to over charges to 15 volts mainly were it supposed to be. 13.5 volts but jumps around as per rpms. when push the clutch in it will drop to 12volts or less.
at night with headlamps it flickers like im flashing them. i know my battery ground is ok but never checked the power to alt. maybe its broke inside of insulation. my sisters 01 3.8L camaro does the same thing. think its the alt? regulator like someone else mentioned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lights flicker...