General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SECURITY Light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SECURITY Light on

So just recently (the past few days) I noticed my security light does not go off after I start the car. And just this morning I realized that when I go to first start the car, it won't turn over, then the 2nd time I try, everything is perfectly normal and it starts as it should. Besides that little issue everything else is as it should be. All power options, alarm, and keyless entry work fine.

Any insight???
Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

try cleaning your key
Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried another key and it's still doing this.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

had the same problem with mine TODAY in fact....i have a 6spd and coulda sworn it was in neutral, but just for the heck of it i played with the stick a lil to make sure it was in N and then it started right up. just a thought(if you have a M tranny) If you find out its sumthng else maybe a lil more complicated let me know!lol
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I poured some alcohol on my key and gave it a good cleaning recently... My red TA just started doing that to me last month... Works good now. *knocks on wood*
Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i started getting the security light on mine aswell since like tuesday, the thing is that it starts and runs with no problems.

dont know why my light is on. i cleaned the key but still wont go away.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you have the Security light on it means that there is something wrong with the VATS security system.... A few guys on LS1.com said to check the point of the column where it tilts, they have the tendency to pinch the wires. Definitely check out the security system because it can and WILL cause the vehicle not to start. You can however bypass it temporarily or permanantly so that it doesn't cause this but it will make the car more vulnerable to steal. BASICALLY get it checked out ASAP.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Ha mine came on about 5 or 6 months ago and the car still starts with no problems at all. Ill check out the steering column like BlueMagicSS suggested but if that isnt it then Ill just suspect its classic GM electrical bullshit
Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Saturday night I came out of the movies in 0* weather, and the car would not start! Everything worked but it wouldn't turn over. After a few minutes of trying, it finally started. Usually it will turn over and start on the first try, but it seems to randomly want you to turn the key over the second time. I suppose I will try some rubbing alcohol and check out the wires under the column. I wonder if this would have anything to do with colder temperatures....?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a brand new key cut, wasnt the solution...so I guess Im gonna check the wires under the column
Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

I have the same problem 2. Been like this for 6 months and it's been like that since I bought it. It's soo annoying. Hope someone figures this out :/
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

There are two contacts in the ignition, they are on springs, mine didnt always contact and did what you all have explained.

there are a few solutions, try to free those contacts so they move freely, disable the vats through a tune, bypass it with a resistor, replace ignition.

For mine i just unplugged the vats sensor wires, security light stayed on but always started and ran fine. not sure if it will work for everyone, but you can give it a try.
under the steering column, remove the large panel. there is an orange sleeve with two wires in it, a puple an white one, it goes toward the ignition. about halfway to the firewall there is a connector, unplug it and see if it will start
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

here is one write-up
http://www.lt1swap.com/vats.htm
here is the wires i left unplugged

and a thread from a little while ago
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...d-ole-lt1.html

Last edited by 95 bright teal; 01-11-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

I want the light off!!!lmao. I'll try that. Do u know where the wire can be kinked?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

I was just worried about it starting reliably, if you cant stand the light being on it needs to be tuned out, or do the resistor bypass, or replace the ignition.
Im not sure about the steering column thing, follow that orange wire up the column till you find a kink if there is one?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't want to tune anything out or disable it, I want it to work like it should. No ghetto rigging.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XGthArO86X
I have the same problem 2. Been like this for 6 months and it's been like that since I bought it. It's soo annoying. Hope someone figures this out :/
There are solutions.

The BCM is still messed up on mine. After trying the resistor trick it still wouldn't start consistently. So I tuned out the security shutdown and wired up the ignition straight to the starter relay to bypass the BCM. I can crank the car everytime now but my light still comes on. I honestly didn't feel like going through the hassle to get a new bcm and matching the keys up yadda yadda yadda. I guess I need to get a real security system now.

If your getting a custom tune the tuner can tune it out and you can bypass the BCM if you have to.

As long as your BCM is good you should be able to fix it on the cheap with the resistor trick.

Originally Posted by Spiers
I don't want to tune anything out or disable it, I want it to work like it should. No ghetto rigging.
I wouldn't call my job ghetto rigged because if you didn't know (most fbody owners don't even) you couldn't tell. After you price out the new key cylinder and bcm the tuning it out idea will sound like the best solution if your bcm is acting up.

I would definitely try the resistor first. If it works with that then you can probably fix the wires in the column or at worst have to replace the cylinder.

Last edited by Lickeyman; 01-11-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my car finally quit starting tonight. But when I turn the key on, I can hear the fuel pump come on..does that mean it's not the VATS?? If it is I am going to try the resistor trick, but I dont know if thats the problem since the fuel pump still comes on. Starter? But why would my security light be on if that was the case...

Also I unplugged the VATS connector (where the purple/white and white/black wires meet the two wires w/ the orange sleeve) and it still will not start. I was able to push start the car to get it home, but the problems not fixed and it still will not start.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it could still be the VATS-here is what I would do next.Bypass the vats to eleminate that as a possibility for no start condition.Its very simple to do and can be UNDONE at any time-you don't CUT ANY WIRES.If no start after that- go from there.
There was a how to I ran across at some time but can't find right now shows putting the proper resistor across a two wire plug under kneepad-good luck!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here it is- best write up I've seen on bypassing VATS:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=bypass+VATS