General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what oil do you guys use for leaky engines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what oil do you guys use for leaky engines?

wondering what everyone uses for leaky engines? i need to swap out my rear main seal next month, but i want a thicker oil to put in until then. is a 10w40 too thick? i have 5w30 and its leaky pretty bad. 5w40 leaked a lot less.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
9 Second Club

I hope you have a a4 trans. If not your putting oil on your clutch. Just set aside a day to fix it. Remember the long you wait the greasier the underside of your car will be when you fix it. Also while your there make sure that it is your rear main seal and not the little freeze plug in the back of the crank.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hlaalu
wondering what everyone uses for leaky engines? i need to swap out my rear main seal next month, but i want a thicker oil to put in until then. is a 10w40 too thick? i have 5w30 and its leaky pretty bad. 5w40 leaked a lot less.
My sister wanted me to change the rear main on her mini van. It was leaking about a 12" puddle overnight, it was pretty bad.
I kid you not, I changed the oil and put in a bottle of that Bars Leak Rear Main Seal Leak Fix.
Almost two years now and it doesn't even get damp.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

i just put in some of that lucas oil leak stuff. doesn't leak at all anymore. i think my mistake was putting in way too thin of oil. i used 5w30 this time, im gunna go back to 10w30 next change. im still going to replace the seal and gaskets next month tho
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If a motor's gaskets and seals are straight and sealing properly then it doesn't matter what viscosity of an oil you use. To me, putting in a "stop leak" additive is like other snake oils that you see for leaking power steering pumps, radiators, transmissions, etc; just as likely to cause problems in the future instead of fixing the problem at hand. Do it right by finding the leak and fixing it...