General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sealed Beam head light aiming...

Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sealed Beam head light aiming...

I've been told by friends that I'm following in my car that my low beams are blinding them. I've also noticed when I follow people it does look like it is pretty bright in their rear view mirror (aka it's lighting up the whole interior of their car as if I had a police spot light on them.)

How can I do the old car on a level surface and get brightest part of the beam to shine in the correct spot? I've read some very lengthy write-ups and frankily I kinda get a little crazy reading the pages and pages of explanations in do the procedure that involves parking, driving forward, parking, backing up over and over. Isn't there any easier way to just get these things to aim at a normal "stock" direction like out of the factory?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

I dunno.. but when I aim mine all you gotta do is turn the little torx screws for up and down and the other one for side to side
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
I've been told by friends that I'm following in my car that my low beams are blinding them. I've also noticed when I follow people it does look like it is pretty bright in their rear view mirror (aka it's lighting up the whole interior of their car as if I had a police spot light on them.)

How can I do the old car on a level surface and get brightest part of the beam to shine in the correct spot? I've read some very lengthy write-ups and frankily I kinda get a little crazy reading the pages and pages of explanations in do the procedure that involves parking, driving forward, parking, backing up over and over. Isn't there any easier way to just get these things to aim at a normal "stock" direction like out of the factory?
What I do is park it on a dead road at night and adjust them, sit in it, the most of the light should hit the road far enough ahead that you feel comfortable, in other words not 5 feet in front of the car.

I do mine in the road in front of my house, then pull it up to the garage door and even them out.

Then go for a ride, once you get up to speed you'll feel uneasy if they're not right, imagine the perfect spot for them to be hitting the road, stop aim toward that area, take another ride, even them out on a wall, etc.

Or find a shop that will take your money and do **** for work.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
What I do is park it on a dead road at night and adjust them, sit in it, the most of the light should hit the road far enough ahead that you feel comfortable, in other words not 5 feet in front of the car.

I do mine in the road in front of my house, then pull it up to the garage door and even them out.

Then go for a ride, once you get up to speed you'll feel uneasy if they're not right, imagine the perfect spot for them to be hitting the road, stop aim toward that area, take another ride, even them out on a wall, etc.

Or find a shop that will take your money and do **** for work.
Techinically, the low beams are supposed to aim down and to the right. I think it was 11" down and 7" to the right for the low beams. High Beams are aimed directly in front, hence why you blind people when you have your highs on and they get annoyed and angry. I may be off a little or have those numbers backwards because it's been awhile since I was a Safety Inspector. We had a headlight machine that took in the beam of light and you could adjust it accordingly based on the numbers you would read when you had the most intense beam in the lense focus. I'm definitely not trying to pay some idiot mechanic money to do this. I'd rather just blind people all the time
Old 12-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Techinically, the low beams are supposed to aim down and to the right. I think it was 11" down and 7" to the right for the low beams. High Beams are aimed directly in front, hence why you blind people when you have your highs on and they get annoyed and angry. I may be off a little or have those numbers backwards because it's been awhile since I was a Safety Inspector. We had a headlight machine that took in the beam of light and you could adjust it accordingly based on the numbers you would read when you had the most intense beam in the lense focus. I'm definitely not trying to pay some idiot mechanic money to do this. I'd rather just blind people all the time
Are you asking a question or do you just feel like talking about headlights?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Park your car next to another car of similar headlight height (i.e. not a truck ) with properly aimed lights with a wall in front of you somewhere around 10 feet away and aim yours to mimic that car's headlight pattern. Should get you pretty close.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Are you asking a question or do you just feel like talking about headlights?
I was replying that's it's not simply pointing the low beams straight down the road is all.

I want to know if someone knows a particular measurement from the ground up and left/right for the low beams to aim.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

I was replying that's it's not simply pointing the low beams straight down the road is all.

I want to know if someone knows a particular measurement from the ground up and left/right for the low beams to aim.
my guess is no.
but we'll see.

Search this Thread