General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hard starting

i have a 96 t/a with an lt1 a4. when i crank the car for a few seconds it doesn't start, then when i go to crank it again it starts and runs fine. anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? the problem started a few months ago out of nowhere. the service engine light soon isn't on, but it does come on intermittently when you idle slowely when the car is cold. voltage is good.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dirty fuel filter. Dirty injectors.

Both can be changed/fixed easily and very cheap. If you're not getting an SES light I'd do those. 1 entire can of Sea Foam to a full tank of gas to clean the injectors. Change the filter first.

Maybe check to see if your fuel pressure is right.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

how do u change ur fuel filter tho? i have a 2000 chevrolet camaro and my car does the samething and im trying to take LS6427's advice.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camarolover209
how do u change ur fuel filter tho? i have a 2000 chevrolet camaro and my car does the samething and im trying to take LS6427's advice.
The fuel filter on these cars are located on the drivers side somewhere in front of the rear tire well. You will have to lift your car somewhat. It should take less than 30 minutes to swap. Just make sure you have a bucket to catch the dripping fuel. Theres a way to depressurize the system to stop fuel from dropping, but I think it takes more time than its worth.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camarolover209
Its very easy to do, like AETOS said, its in that location. Its black and looks like a small coke can. I did mine last year and I hardly lost any fuel, just a few dribbles. I think it just takes two crescent wrenches, and a flat head screwdriver to take a clip off. Took about 5 minutes, including jacking the car up.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

i recently changed the fuel filter a few months ago before this started. is sea foam itself the best fuel injector cleaner because i used stp fuel injector cleaner after this started and it had no effect. Could the fuel filter have gone bad already?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1luckeyt/a
i recently changed the fuel filter a few months ago before this started. is sea foam itself the best fuel injector cleaner because i used stp fuel injector cleaner after this started and it had no effect. Could the fuel filter have gone bad already?
Regular fuel injector cleaners at the parts store are completely useless and will do nothing 9 out of 10 times.

Sea Foam works great. Use an entire can in a full tank of gas, or almost full, 3/4 of a tank is fine too. That should clean the injectors for sure.

How old are your spark plugs? Have you cleaned your MAF lately? How about cleaning the air sensor in the lid, just spray the **** out of it with the MAF cleaner. You should also Sea Foam your top end (read the sticky). I did mine today and it smoked like crazy. I used an entire can too. I'm gonna do it again in a couple days until it doesn't smoke at all.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advise. I cleaned the MAF and it is starting alot easier now. I'm about to go seafoam the top end and see what happens.