General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas treatment preference??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009 | 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

nah... you just keep a 1.5 gal gas can in the back. lol.
Old 01-04-2009 | 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
instead of hijacking this guy's thread... and having a pissing match instead of helping... how about you give a suggestion as far as a fuel additive like HEET that removes water from gas??

Sta-bil is also supposed to take water out of gas. btw.
I did, post #3 the second person to offer real world experience.

I think what you meant to say was how about we stay on topic and not bring up a beat down myth so we can get into a pissing match over something.
Old 01-04-2009 | 08:33 AM
Launching!

Seafoam. Yes it will remove water.
Old 01-04-2009 | 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
instead of hijacking this guy's thread... and having a pissing match instead of helping... how about you give a suggestion as far as a fuel additive like HEET that removes water from gas??

Sta-bil is also supposed to take water out of gas. btw.
Thanks! It did get a bit off-topic. I believe the cold winter here in NC hasn't helped. I left in low temps and arrived in 80 degree FL within 8 hours. I also never added anything in the tank as far as treatments for over a year. Maybe there was condensation in there to start with. There also was the possibility of picking up bad gas along I-75 with water or dirt. Even though I buy name brand premium fuel, who knows?? I am going to start fresh with a new fuel filter (just in case it was dirt) and a bottle of premium HEET. The car is running fine now but who knows about the filter being full of debris. It certainly isn't expensive. A little preventative maintenance and care before my next trek.
Old 01-04-2009 | 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I did, post #3 the second person to offer real world experience.

I think what you meant to say was how about we stay on topic and not bring up a beat down myth so we can get into a pissing match over something.
Yes. That is closer to being exactly what I meant. (This is my way of staying neutral in the pissing match, because I have NO idea... and new pants. ) Please excuse me for not noticing that you had still recommended something.
Old 01-05-2009 | 12:20 AM
On The Tree

My mom drives her '99 Denali 4 miles to work and 4 miles home 5 days a week. That's it. My folks drive my dad's Buick extensively. The Denali only gets filled with fuel once a month or so. A few months ago it was having problems, specifically, I don't know, I wasn't there. The mechanic diagnosed that the fuel pump went out. He asked my dad how low he allows the tank to be run. My mom use to run it until the 'Low Fuel' light popped on. Mechanic said that is bad practice due to the fact that the fuel in the tank lubricates and cools the fuel pump.

New fuel pump, no more issues. Had they filled the tank twice a month instead of once they could have saved the money.

I don't know about you, but I am going to trust the certified GM Mechanic and not listen to a single guy with experiance on electric motors.

I like SeaFoam. It has done well for me in the past.
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xephona
You must be the only person in the world that honestly believes that running your tank dry DOESN'T damage that pump. Sure, many people don't know it might do damage... ignorance is acceptable... but total defiance? I havn't seen a single manufacturer say that it is safe to run a pump dry, or a single mechanic, or autoparts store... just you.
he is not the only one. i have ran every car i have ever owned out of gas more times than i can count. why, well im the worlds biggest procrastinator(sp?) if i think there is 5 miles of gas left in it i start looking for a gas station about 4 miles from now. lol ran many a red light to coast into a gas station. oh and i have never had a single pump failer on a car i owned. and some with very high miles. i have changed many pumps for others tho. i dont think i have ever had a single one of them that didnt have a full tank when it came to me dead in the water(no pun intended to OP) i see your point that a "pump" should not run dry for the "pumping" parts could wear dependant on what type of pump it is. but wont hurt the electrical "motor". alot of people will argue that running it low will suck up more "drugs" (dirt,debri) out of the gas and stop up the sock and filter. i feel other wise that running it down low often keeps it from acumulating so much crap in the tank over time. i little crap sucked out each tank is better to me than alot of crap the one time you have to run low years later and stop up the system immediatly. this also would be true of water, more water can build up over time, and not get dispersed if it stays full. granted you should not store one low on gas since water is more likely to condinsate in a low tank, but if you are using the vehicle i always run it low often and change the filter regularly without issue. thats a long bunch of crap but just my .02

to the op i would double up on the dry gas and run it low a couple of times, then change the filter to get rid of whatever has built up in your fuel system.

Quick Reply: Gas treatment preference??