General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Traction control shuts off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control shuts off?

Hey guys, twice now I've gone out to warm my car up. I'll turn it on, go back inside, and come out 5 minutes later. Usually it's all well and good, but today, for the second time, I came back out and my traction control was off. It wouldn't turn back on either unless I turned the car off and restarted it. Any ideas as to what's going on?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the club. Mine shuts off about the time I run 10 miles.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Teching In

What in the world...I had it shut off ONCE while I was driving it on a road trip. No one has any idea why this is happening?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Im suspecting a loose sensor that is getting wet or bounces loose when I hit a pot hole or something.....I have no clue. Just waiting for someone that actually repaired a similar defect.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I had this problem for quite some time, and it freaked me out a bit. When I went in for a tire change, the problem dissapeared. Not only is it a sensor problem, but if your tires are worn out unevenly, or any other factors that would cause your wheels to not spin evenly the TCS will shut off, which is probably the case if your running your car and it shuts off during driving rather than after start-up. Same thing can happen to the ABS, it might shut off too.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Ok, that would make sense...my left rear is worn funny. I had it on the front left before I realized my tie rod was out of wack and it wore the inner side. That could be the reason. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

I had this happen to my old car after it was towed. Turns out the tow hook sliced the wires to the abs. If your abs isn't working, traction control won't work either.

Be sure to check all sensors and wires. If something is not right, the computer disables traction control (along with abs, atleast from my experience). It does this to avoid damaging the system because something isn't even. I'm not very good at explaining it, but you get the idea hopefully.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

No tows on my side since way before the problem started happening. Ill be sure to check the lines when I change the tires out. Thanks again.