General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help diagnosing misfire/skip/surge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing misfire/skip/surge

My car has developed what feels like a random misfire when I'm driving down the road. It seems to do it at 1500-2500rpm and its worse under load, just a random "skip" is the best way I can think to describe it. However, it clears up around 3000 and runs nice and smooth up top. After running a scan and coming up with a gaggle of codes, the only one that could cause a misfire was P0200 (Injector Circuit Open), but there was no code for a misfire, and looking at all the diagnostic, it read no misfires on any cylinder at idle or under throttle. The only thing that was fishy was that the injector pulse on bank 1 was significantly higher than bank 2, but I can't find any problems with the injectors or harnesses on either bank. I also had a code for ECT Sensor and TPS, but I tested the TPS and it is working, and I'm going to get a new ECT Sensor as soon as I finish typing this, but I wouldn't think that would cause the car to run like it does. Is there any way to pinpoint the source of my P0200 code to an individual injector? If I knew what cylinder the problem was coming from then I would have a lot less trouble finding it. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Update: I was driving the car after replacing the ECT Sensor, and I thought it was running better, but suddenly my gauge cluster went crazy. All of the lights came on and the tach and speedo went to zero, just like when you first turn the switch on before the car is cranked, but the oil pressure guage was still reading pressure and the car kept running just fine. I turned the car off, started it back up and everything went right back to normal. Should I be looking for an electrical problem now? Faulty ground?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SStrokeME00
Update: I was driving the car after replacing the ECT Sensor, and I thought it was running better, but suddenly my gauge cluster went crazy. All of the lights came on and the tach and speedo went to zero, just like when you first turn the switch on before the car is cranked, but the oil pressure guage was still reading pressure and the car kept running just fine. I turned the car off, started it back up and everything went right back to normal. Should I be looking for an electrical problem now? Faulty ground?
I had the wacky gauges problem like you describe, it was a bad battery connection