General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird electronic seat problem... Drivers side controls passanger?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird electronic seat problem... Drivers side controls passanger?!

Heres a weird problem thats always occurred since I purchased the car in June, but never really cared to look into it. Before I go and take out my seats I'm wondering if you guys can chime in on what can be wrong. I have a T/A WS6 with the "upgraded" lumbar controlled seats.

The Problem:

The lumbar and lateral controls on the driver's side seat control the passenger side seats. The passenger side controls still control the passenger. The other controls on the driver's side seat function normal as does the passenger's side.

Anybody have any clue what could cause this and what I should look for?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a previous owner did some of his own wiring modifications to the seats before you owned the car. You might have to take the driver seat out and take a look at the harness and connections on the bottom of it to really find out the problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Trans Am and it does the exact same thing man so dont thing you the only one and i cant figure out what it is either
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99LS1Bird
I have a 99 Trans Am and it does the exact same thing man so dont thing you the only one and i cant figure out what it is either
Thats weird, have you tried taking apart the seats yet?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Interesting, you can have some fun with that one, tell your passenger that the car was in a wreck and the person in the passenger seat died and go from there. Sorry for not having any intelligent advice.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike in LA
Interesting, you can have some fun with that one, tell your passenger that the car was in a wreck and the person in the passenger seat died and go from there. Sorry for not having any intelligent advice.
Sounds like a good idea. Just gotta get somebody that doesn't know about the problem into my car.

"Vibrating? Oh, that vibrating... don't worry about it, one of my long lost friend's died in my car and he seems to haunt my car now constantly riding along side with me and he hates it when people sit on his seat, so he makes it vibrate to annoy the passenger."

Should be funny if its a girl in the seat..

Must test....
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Launching!

yea woulda done that a year ago im married though i do have some dumb *** friends who would believe that **** though
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you absolutely positive that the buttons are moving the passenger seat? When I first bought my TA I thought I had the same problem. The lumbar support is activated by an air pump, which sits under the passenger seat. It will make noise no matter which seat you are adjusting. It may feel like a vibration, but thats completely normal.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Are you absolutely positive that the buttons are moving the passenger seat? When I first bought my TA I thought I had the same problem. The lumbar support is activated by an air pump, which sits under the passenger seat. It will make noise no matter which seat you are adjusting. It may feel like a vibration, but thats completely normal.
You gotta be kind of dumb to think your chair is not moving while having your passenger freak out because his own seat is magically moving...

Yes, I'm positive that my seat does not move with the driver side controls. If you look at the passenger seat while pressing the driver side controls you can even see it moving ever so slightly, so yes, the passenger seat is being controlled.

Thanks for the input though, I can see where somebody may think that.