General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heater blows cold air

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heater blows cold air

I've had problems with my coolant system for a while and I just figured it out. The coolant level would get low and it leaked from the water pump gasket, even tho it was torqued properly. Turns out the line between the resivoir and radiator was clogged and coolant went out the next weakest problem (water pump gasket).

Well now when I turn the heater on it just gets semi-warm. Maybe 10 degrees higher than the outside temp. But every now and then, the heater will blow hotter, but not like it should. I thought it might be the heater core clogged, but why would it work randomly if that was the case?

I work on Bimmers and they have a "thermostat" if you will that allows coolant in and out when the coolant temp drops low enough. Does the LS1 have a system like this? What could my problem be?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I've had problems with my coolant system for a while and I just figured it out. The coolant level would get low and it leaked from the water pump gasket, even tho it was torqued properly. Turns out the line between the resivoir and radiator was clogged and coolant went out the next weakest problem (water pump gasket).

Well now when I turn the heater on it just gets semi-warm. Maybe 10 degrees higher than the outside temp. But every now and then, the heater will blow hotter, but not like it should. I thought it might be the heater core clogged, but why would it work randomly if that was the case?

I work on Bimmers and they have a "thermostat" if you will that allows coolant in and out when the coolant temp drops low enough. Does the LS1 have a system like this? What could my problem be?
This may not be that much of a help, but don't all cars have some sort of thermostat in there coolant lines? If they didn't car engines would take a longer time to warm up and getting to standard operating temperatures. Unless this isn't the type of thermostat you're talking about?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

yes your car has a thermostat and it is probably stuck open. either that or your heater core is clogged up
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have used a radiator sealant, they can clog over a hose, especially if you used more than one can. I have seen it happen. They can seal off completely or partially, and at times start to let a little coolant through and then seal off again depending on how you drive the car and how much pressure you cause. If you hammer a car with sealant in the system sealing a hole, especially a large one like a heater hose, they tend to start leaking again, then when you let the car cool and drive it again it will seal over again, if too much sealant did not leak out. Boone
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Launching!

I think the guy that owned the car last used a sealant to fix the water pump leak (f*cking retarded idea).

I guess I'll flush out my core at lunch time. I have done it before, but I guess it's stopped up again.

And is there a thermostat on the heater core? One besides the main thermostat in the water pump?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

no thermostat in the heater core
Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Default help

Originally Posted by BOONE
If you have used a radiator sealant, they can clog over a hose, especially if you used more than one can. I have seen it happen. They can seal off completely or partially, and at times start to let a little coolant through and then seal off again depending on how you drive the car and how much pressure you cause. If you hammer a car with sealant in the system sealing a hole, especially a large one like a heater hose, they tend to start leaking again, then when you let the car cool and drive it again it will seal over again, if too much sealant did not leak out. Boone
Hey man I know this is random question but do you know how to unclog a heater hose? One of my heater hoses is clogged but I don't know how to unclog it, any advice?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

back flush it
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could also have the blend door stuck, or some other control or vacuum line preventing air blowing through the heater core.

Especially since it's intermittent.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

I would agree with above... make sure blend door is working properly... or control unit could be no good.

Quick Reply: Heater blows cold air