General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009 | 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Default Turn signal doesn't work...

I have a 2000 z28 and the right turn signal stopped working. When I hit the turn signal lever, the right arrow just stays green on the dash, the front right turn signal doesn't turn on, but the rear one stays lit until I unclick it off. Checked bulbs, all work. I can put the hazards on, and then the turn signals work perfectly. I'm thinking that the lever might be messed up? I had installed halo head lights a while ago, and tapped into the running lights, so not sure if there is something going on with that now. I shook all the wires around a lot, moved everything around real good, and there doesn't seem to be a short or anything that I could find. Has anyone had a problem like this before? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2009 | 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you checked the bulb did you pull it out and check for water or corrosion in the socket? very common problem from what you described.
Old 01-30-2009 | 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
when you checked the bulb did you pull it out and check for water or corrosion in the socket? very common problem from what you described.
x2 same thing happend with mine. clean out the socket
Old 01-30-2009 | 11:08 PM
Teching In

the exact thing just happened to me yesterday, put the right signal on and it would stay green. I changed the bulb same thing, so i bought a new flasher, but before i changed the flasher i double checked and i put the bulb in backwards. I would just change the bigger bulb
Old 01-31-2009 | 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93cz28
x2 same thing happend with mine. clean out the socket
X3. I had to replace my socket being it was burnt.
Old 01-31-2009 | 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome, I'll check out the socket. Did u just pick one up at the gm dealership, or did u order one online? Haven't checked prices yet and didn't know if there was a big difference.
Old 01-31-2009 | 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matrik
Awesome, I'll check out the socket. Did u just pick one up at the gm dealership, or did u order one online? Haven't checked prices yet and didn't know if there was a big difference.
depending on the extent of the corrosion, you should just be able to clean the socket out and replace the bulb. i recommend ordering a new light housing to keep water from getting back in. cost you about $30. if the socket is beyond repair you can get a generic one from the vato-zone or order one online for around another $30. i think you'll have to do some jerry rigging on the auto-zone one though.
Old 01-31-2009 | 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by matrik
I work for a Subaru/Kia dealer and we used a Kia socket being it fit and was free
Old 01-31-2009 | 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
depending on the extent of the corrosion, you should just be able to clean the socket out and replace the bulb. i recommend ordering a new light housing to keep water from getting back in. cost you about $30. if the socket is beyond repair you can get a generic one from the vato-zone or order one online for around another $30. i think you'll have to do some jerry rigging on the auto-zone one though.
the gm one costs like 45 bucks which is crazy, go to autozone and get one for 5 bucks, and there is no jerry rigging, its identical to the gm one.