General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

solid motor mount review

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid motor mount review

hope the title is not misleading, but I'm wanting some feedback from people who have solid motor mounts.
It is my everyday driver, but I dont mind my car "shaking" a little. Is this the only bad about solids? Is the performance gain good? Anyone have dynos proving its good gains? (yes i know i'm not gaining 50hp to the wheels by doing it just wondering if any at all what it is)

Thanks for all input
Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
hope the title is not misleading, but I'm wanting some feedback from people who have solid motor mounts.
It is my everyday driver, but I dont mind my car "shaking" a little. Is this the only bad about solids? Is the performance gain good? Anyone have dynos proving its good gains? (yes i know i'm not gaining 50hp to the wheels by doing it just wondering if any at all what it is)

Thanks for all input
HP gains from solid mounts....are you kidding? You'll gain just about "ZERO" on a dyno. My factory original tranny and engine mounts are 11 years old and 7 of those years is with my 427ci (490 RWHP/493 RWTQ), built tranny, Strange 12 bolt.

If its a street car, you're 100% wasting your cash. And no, you can also get noises, vibration and a shitty ride. Some people like them, most I've talked to hate them. They are totally unessesary for a street car, or a strip car that isn't a professional or serious race set-up.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

go with the urethane....
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
go with the urethane....
poly mounts is the way to go bud. Solid mounts are not what you need.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

On a daily driver ploy mounts on an A4 is moderate vibration and it will get annoying after awhile now on M6 maybe not so much vibration. Can some1 with M6 chime in and give some info. But zero gain of hp just better throttle response. Most change out the motors mounts when your putting on headers or if mounts are busted.Spend your $ on some other mod.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

So what is the point of having solid mounts at all? At what hp/tq rate would rip apart a urethane but not solid(yes I know the whole car setup is a factor too and there is not "set" amount just looking for very vague/general answer)?

I'm thinking I will go with urethanes, since the general conclusion is waste of time/money/effort.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I purchased solid mounts because I got tried of my Y-pipe banging the floor. I don't have any unberable vibrations. I also drive my car daily.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The benifits of solid motor mounts are that your engine doesn't move when it's revved.... so if you have close fitting headers, ory, etc... it will make the clearance more stable and you also loose a good hunk of weight (i think like 25-30 lbs total?).

I have solid motor mounts on my dd camaro and i love them.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

I installed my solids about a month ago and I'm pretty happy with them, minimal vibrations at idle and it's nice not to see the engine flopping around
Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
So what is the point of having solid mounts at all? At what hp/tq rate would rip apart a urethane but not solid(yes I know the whole car setup is a factor too and there is not "set" amount just looking for very vague/general answer)?

I'm thinking I will go with urethanes, since the general conclusion is waste of time/money/effort.
Again, some people love them, some people HATE them. Most I've heard from hatethem.

There are alot of aftermarket items for our cars...but that does not mean they will do a damn thing for it by way of performance. Solid mounts are one of those things.

Solid mounts for the tranny/engine come into play when you have professional road racers that need to squeee every single bit out of their cars to get that win or best time, or edge over someone else.

Solid mounts do NOTHING AT ALL for a street car, except cause shitty ride, vibrations and noise. And its a complete waste of money to have those undesirable things occur.

There is no amount of power/torque that will break a factory mount on the street, there just isn't enough traction for that power to be transferred to the frame ofthe car....the tires will break free before a mount ever gets close to breaking. If you're building a 6-7 second drag car, then yes, they'll need to be upgraded.

Almost all factory parts can hold anything for the street.

Ask about things here before spending any money on parts upgrades.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

I've got more RWHP than 99% of the people on this forum "for a street car". 490 RWHP/493 RWTQ.

My tranny mounts and engine mounts are factory original, 11 years old. My tranny and engine don't move at all. I have 1 7/8" LT headers too.

Don't fall for the hype man.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about you change the title of the thread to "Solid motor mount reviews FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY HAD THEM"

All I'm reading when I go down this is "I heard this" "i read on the internet that".

The only FIRST HAND experience post, as I read down this thread, was someone posting their experience with poly mounts.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danhr
how about you change the title of the thread to "Solid motor mount reviews FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY HAD THEM"

All I'm reading when I go down this is "I heard this" "i read on the internet that".

The only FIRST HAND experience post, as I read down this thread, was someone posting their experience with poly mounts.
about time someone said it. "i heard" aka i read on the internet so it must be true.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Solid mounts do NOTHING AT ALL for a street car, except cause shitty ride, vibrations and noise. And its a complete waste of money to have those undesirable things occur.
so reducing the weight of the car is a complete waste of money?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Everytime i go into a thread where someone is asking about Solid MM's LS6427 runs in bashing them as if they murdered his puppy! Anyways, i maybe crazy but after installing the solids the shifting in my car has actually gotten smoother
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went with a set of the prothane ones. They are very solid and don't let the motor move hardly at all. The increase in vibration was enough to notice for sure.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
so reducing the weight of the car is a complete waste of money?
For a street car, yeah, it does nothing.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by casca2001
Everytime i go into a thread where someone is asking about Solid MM's LS6427 runs in bashing them as if they murdered his puppy! Anyways, i maybe crazy but after installing the solids the shifting in my car has actually gotten smoother
Not bashing anyone. But when someone that doesn't know about them starts a thread like the OP and asks about HP gains and performance increases.........I will tell them the same thing as I always do....they are useless for a STREET CAR and can only cause you problems unless your the 1 out of 100 that has no issues with them.

Thats a fact, can't argue with it.

Just trying to keep someone from wasting cash on something they think will make their car faster or better in some way.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
For a street car, yeah, it does nothing.
It does increase mpg.

A clean/light car is a fuel efficient car.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I had to get polyurethane motor mounts so my headers wouldnt rub my K-member, I like what they did. Instead of my shifter jumping around on every hard WOT it stays a lot more centrally located. I'd do it... but not solid mounts. You won't gain HP like they're saying but i think you'll like the feel of your shifter better.