General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water pump "chirping"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump "chirping"

Anyone ever had this? I took the serp belt off and turned everything by hand and nothing but the water pump sheave made noise. Esp if i reversed it or kinda went back and forth with it. I know its not the belt its come back after 3 diff belts. And i changed the idler. Location of the noise seems to be in the water pump/idler pulley. How much is the Meizure vs. stock price? Its Sun & the dealer is closed. Temps have been fine & no leaks but im tired of replacing little crap and it still coming back. Any Suggest? Car has 142k on it and im pretty sure it still the stock pump.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the electric pump is like $500.

You could have a bent shaft in the pump maiking the noise, you'll have to replace it if you're positive its the pump thats squeaking with the belt removed. It would be a first for me to hear that a pump is squeaking, but anything is possible.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Launching!

If i drive the car for more than 30 minutes or so then the noise subsides but if you listen closely it never really goes away, just quiets down. Then if it cools off for more that 15-20 min. it comes right back.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

I use to have a little squeak in my engine compartment on cold start. I changed my waterpump because it started leaking, never heard the squeak again. And also, with that many miles, its good insurance to put a pump on it anyway, consider it preventative maintenance if nothing else. I paid about $180 for mine from gm parts direct. Im not a big fan of "white box parts"
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Launching!

yea i learned the hard way that alot of times factory parts are the only way to go
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
If i drive the car for more than 30 minutes or so then the noise subsides but if you listen closely it never really goes away, just quiets down. Then if it cools off for more that 15-20 min. it comes right back.
When things heat up and get cool, they expand and condense, so the squeak would come and go, or get louder at different temps.

Yes, I would go AC Delco with a water pump. Probably get a long warranty with it.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Teching In

+1 for the water pump. The pump blades or shaft could be making this noise and it will never go away, like you said. Definately go with a Delco pump, and if you have a friend that works in a GM shop, all you have to do is charge .1 hr on the r.o. and you should have a 12/12 warranty.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys im pretty confident thats my problem - upcoming paycheck im ordering it and ill update as to weither it stopped the noise.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You said you changed the idler, but have you changed the tensioner down by the alternator? They are notorious for going bad and making that squeak you mentioned. Just throwing that out there before you buy new parts...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Teching In

I am having this same thing right now. A squeak quiets down after driving around for some time (20-30 min). I have 107K on the car. From listening around I narrowed it down to the acc. tensioner pulley. Took a scewdriver and pushed on it a bit while the engine was running and the sqeak changed its noise. I took the acc. pulley off and started the car. No sqeak, so I am ordering an acc. tensioner pulley.

I am getting good at these diognosis. Last year I had the same problem with the acc. idler. Year before, main idler. I am starting to wonder how long these OEM pulleys will last with my spirited weekend driving. Haha. If anyone knows of some advanced high grade pulleys, please send a link or name my way. I am interested in the price comparison.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Launching!

I have been chasing a squeak since I picked up my new car(99 z28) about a month ago. The guy said it had a new water pump on it and gave me a Gates brand idler pulley that he thought would fix the squeak. For everyone who doesnt know the idler pulley that Gates makes for the LS1 does not fit with the factory dust cover. I ordered one from the local dealership, not the problem. Its either the power steering pump which is supposed to be new, or the alternator pulley.....I think
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

OMG I SOLVED MY **********IN SQUEAL FOR GOOD YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So after 3 Orillys idlers/tensioners and 2 brand freakin new Gates (YES GATES!!) belts and a new GM water pump i finally found the REAL culprit. So as were fillin up the radiatior w/water after the whole pump swap, the car is running a sec and the squeal comes back. I freakin out!!! Anyway a moment later as i added a lil more water (mixed w/tears of frustration) i spilled some on the belt - IMMIDEATELY the noise went away. As the belt dried it came back. So my boy rubbs a bar of soap on it as it runs - AGAIN the noise went away. Im in disbelief at this point this is the second brand new Gates belt. I mean Gates is supposed to be the best right? So as a last resort i buy a 3rd belt. This time a $60 GM factory freakin belt. Guess what? Its been over a month and the noise has never NEVER come back. The GM was a lil thicker than the Gates and the ribbs were shaped a lil differently. GET A FACTORY BELT TO FIX UR SQUEAL - GATES BELTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SSickLS1; 04-05-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Launching!

what else is weird is that only some cars will ever have this problem. I put the same two squealin *** Gates belts on my SS to see WTF (refund maybe) and nothing. No noise at all. Theyll squeal like a noise u never heard on the T/A but not a peep on the SS pully system? Weird huh!?! Try a factory belt before u make the mistake of replacing expensive parts like me.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Thats some crazy ****, wonder why they are fine on the TA. Glad you got that cleared up a squeal is enough to drive a man insane after chasin it around for a while.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

i just replaced my idler pulley thinking it would solve my squeaks. i thought it was this pulley because i would hit it with some wd40 and it would go away. with the new one, i used wheel bearing grease on the ***** and race thinking it would help too, but nope! still squeaks.... guess whos gonna try a new belt today? me. i also think my belt is way to tight, any suggestions on length?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Damn I've been chasing a squeak with mine.

Just regreased ALL of the idler pulleys and was beginning to suspect the water pump but I'm definitely going to test the belt to see.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroIroc
i just replaced my idler pulley thinking it would solve my squeaks. i thought it was this pulley because i would hit it with some wd40 and it would go away. with the new one, i used wheel bearing grease on the ***** and race thinking it would help too, but nope! still squeaks.... guess whos gonna try a new belt today? me. i also think my belt is way to tight, any suggestions on length?
it wasnt the pulley that would quit squeaking but prolly some WD conditioning the belt for a sec that stopped it. Dont worry about belt length if you have a stock pulley setup. Just geta factory GM belt - the tensioner provides "tightness" of the belt on the system not so much the belt itself. If you have anything other than a stock GM pulley setup then sorry IDK what to tell ya then?? U SKREWD THEN - i ended up selling a UD pulley kit over the deal - i know when to leave well enough alone.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Launching!

yea i learned the hard way that alot of times factory parts are the only way to go
HAHA!! Cant believe i said that at the beginning of the post not knowing all the while that a non factory belt cause this whole poneypit of a problem.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

It was the belt.

NO MORE SQUEAK!!! I didn't get a new one because it looked fine but I did take it off and clean it and wiped the pulleys with a solvent soaked cloth to remove and grease and oil. Slapped it back on and ............................................nothin .

But at least my idler pulleys got a good greasing out of the deal.

Quick Reply: Water pump "chirping"