General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

changing spark plugs and wires. Any advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

!AIR makes things much easier, unbolting passenger side coil pack helps but drivers side plugs are pretty easy to get to so it's not worth the effort for that side IMO. I get #8 from the bottom. I recently ground off all those sharp spikes on the coil packs because I got stabbed by those one too many times. That was good riddance, let me tell ya!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

I always drop the starter to get #8 out from the bottom. It's only like two bolts
to remove it and then I can barely get my hand in there. Oh disconnect the battery before removing starter.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget bandaids. lol
Old 07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

As far as my spark plug history goes:

#1 NEVER USE BOSCH
I've tried two sets of them and at first they're really nice. I'd say less than 10k miles they'll make your car run like crap. They are not for chevy engines. They fit but they are horrible as far as life span is concerned. I have NGK TR55s. They're much nicer and WAY cheaper.

#2 Get some ramps and park the car on them.
#3 Let the car get cold.
#4 Take the spark plug wires off and take the coil racks off.
#5 Start with the drivers side since its the easiest.
#6 Always make sure the socket is flat on the spark plug otherwise you run a pretty good chance of breaking a plug.
#7 You may want to use some gloves.
#8 If you can't get to #8 from the top with the coils out, get it from the bottom.
#9 2clicks for the wire on the coils 1click for the wire on spark plugs.

Before installing new plugs put a little anti-sieze on them to keep them from welding to the heads over time. And don't over tighten them. Do not put the death grip on the ratchet lol.

Last edited by 7camaro7; 07-18-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad this came out, I am doing mine next weekend. Great info guys. Subscribing...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned

I did it two weeks ago and I didn't even have to remove the drivers side coil pack...but the #8 sparkplug and the screw on the back of the pass. coil pack were a pain in the ***. I suggest not even putting the last screw on there as there are 4 others holding it in and try your hardest with the #8...I did that one from the top. And there is no possible way whatsoever to get 4 and 6 out w/out removing the air tube.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevenp
I did it two weeks ago and I didn't even have to remove the drivers side coil pack...but the #8 sparkplug and the screw on the back of the pass. coil pack were a pain in the ***. I suggest not even putting the last screw on there as there are 4 others holding it in and try your hardest with the #8...I did that one from the top. And there is no possible way whatsoever to get 4 and 6 out w/out removing the air tube.
I think you can do 4 and 6 from the top, maybe its the bottom but I never have to unbolt the air stuff unless I was doing something else.

btw I never put all my coil bracket bolts back in either I just put most of them back in.

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs and wires. Any advice