General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Storing my SS for 3 year.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Storing my SS for 3 year.

What should I do to prep my car. It will be in my dads barn. He will start it once a month and move it. I will drive it when I am home on leave. I have all new fluids. What else should I do? What car cover do you all recomend?
Old 10-15-2003, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Storing my SS for 3 year.

Why for 3 years? Where are you going to be that you can't take your car? I'm assuming overseas? Are you paying for it while it's in storage?
Old 10-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

3 years...

Well, does the barn have a wood floor? If it does, it usually keeps things quite nice for storing vehicles. I used to live in an old farmhouse with a large barn - we kept a few cars (64 Impala SS Vert, 55 Chevy Pick-Up and a 57 T-Bird) in there for 3+ years without any large problems. Just mainly tranny pan gaskets and rotten belts. If you are going to drive it a few times or more a year - I wouldn't worry about too much - a cover would be great to keep the crud off of it.

There are lots of posts about storing cars. Try a seach and see what you find.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When storing cars for long periods of time in barns you need to be concerned about moisture and rodents. My brother bought an old 'Vette that spent some years in a barn and the mice went to town on the engine compartment. They'll chew wires, build nests, and in my brother's case, they'll die and rot inside the heater box and make the car stink.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Stabil" for the fuel.... I used this everytime I put my car in storage during deployments, works great. Available at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

And I think oil becomes acidic after a while of just sitting.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why for 3 years? Where are you going to be that you can't take your car? I'm assuming overseas? Are you paying for it while it's in storage?
I would like to know too
Old 10-16-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would plug up the exhaust pipes by putting cut tennis ***** on them, you will get things crawling in there, but cups of baking soda inside the car to keep the moisture out....get an all weather cover....full tank of gas with stabil...

Old 10-16-2003, 01:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lay a large tarp on the ground and park over it,it should keep the moisture from coming up through the car,fuel stabilizer,a good tarp,have your dad check tire pressure when he starts it every month,As big boss said keep cups of baking soda inside.Yes and plug up the exhaust I had a birds nest blow out of my TOTL one time.Wash and wax the car,clean the interior well,if you have leather use leather treatment,armorall the dash and all the weather stripping to keep it lubricated so it wont dry up.Use white lithium grease on all the hinges.Just to name a few things you can do.If its in a barn beaware of mice they love to make nests in F-bodys. Maybe you could find some kind of rodent killer or something to lay under the car or something???
Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

I am PCS'ing to RAF Molesworth. I have to take the family car. Three boys and a wife dont go over to well in a Camaro. I am going to try to pick up a f or y body for a secound car. Thanks for all the help! Later

ANdy
Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is going to be driven every month i really wouldnt worry about anything. But dont just start it every month and let it idle. Idle is bad for a motor, deffintly after sitting and having all the oil drain into the pan. I only drive my camaro once or twice a month as it is already. I have gone a few months with out driving it. Only problem is oil drain which makes the motor tap horrible for about a minute. Doing that for three years cant be good. I would recommend leaving the car untouched untill you come back for leave time. That way you can plug the exhaust and cover the car for a nice little nap. I also wouldnt worry about moister that much. Alot of my cars life has been around salty air(va beach area) and still no rust. Baking soda should do fine to keep mildew(sp) under control.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stored my 98 TA for 4 years while in Korea. It was NOT even started for a 2 year period at one point in time.

Unless someone is willing to drive it at least 10 miles each time they start it, I would not have it started at all. Starting these cars and letting them idle for a few minutes does nothing but introduce massive amounts of moisture inside of the crankcase and upper valve cover area. Also fills the exhaust system with water. Driving around the block once or twice is not much better.

1. Add a double dose of fuel stabilizer to no more than a 1/4 to 1/8 tank of gas. Drive it around to mix well and get it up into the fuel rail, etc.

2. Store with clean oil.

3. Fill tires to at least 45 psi (they will slowly leak down after a year or so)

4. Leave all windows closed.

5. Disconnect both battery cables. No need to remove battery.

6. Clean exterior surface and use a good / soft car cover.

7. You can plug the tail pipes, but I don't really know how necessary that really is.

8. Store in a [DRY] garage (I guess a barn is better than nothing, but I would be worried about rats and mice and possible moisture)

Note: When you get back, and before you start the car:

1. Charge battery

2. Remove the fuel pump fuse

3. Allow the engine to spin for about 1 minute to insure the oil press. comes up and the lifters get filled.

4. Re-install fuel pump fuse and start.

Note: The tires will be "flat-spotted" for about the first 75 miles. Don't worry about it.

Note: Putting the car on blocks is now not the recommended procedure, but that's up to you.

Some folks will tell you to spray WD40 in each cylinder, but I don't think it's needed if the car is in a fairly dry place.

Have fun overseas!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

The Tin Indian has lots of greatideas here, but you really should FILL you gas tank before storage. All that free space will produce condensation and moisture will be introduce to your remaining fuel.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:43 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys gave you good advice, in particular Tin Indian.

My '94 was in a commercial storage garage for 2.5 years while deployed to Romania and Germany. I did virtually all of those steps listed above and the car was hardly affected by the storage. I overinflated the tires to keep them from flat spotting and my father stopped by a few times to top them off. Ensure the gas tank is absolutely full and has stabilizer added. Also change to fresh motor oil immediately before storing. That avoids the acids and contaminents going to work on your bearings while you are away. I also placed rodent poison in the corners of the garage, but had no evidence of their activity. The owner of the facility kept on top of things and had his own rodent poison outside around the buildings. Follow the advice above by Tin Indian and your car should be none the worse for wear when you come back.

almost forgot: DO NOT have someone come by and start up the car from time to time unless they are going to drive it long and far enough to get all systems to operating temp. Otherwise you are doing way more harm than good.