General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tint remover.......we have a winner.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tint remover.......we have a winner.....

This might be "STICKY" worthy!!!!!!

I'm talking 11 year old **** that is on there like cement.

First, I tried gasoline, brake cleaner, ammonia, good-off, good-gone, garbage bag with ammonia in the sun for 2 hours, industrial heat gun, and a couple other things.

I just got a can of Aircraft Paint Stripper from PepBoys for $10.00. I sprayed a nice thick blob on a rag and dabbed it onto about a 1 foot x 1 foot spot on my back glass. Gave it 20 minutes and came out, took my razor and barely touched it and it fell off like snow flakes in the middle of a beauitful winter day with a snowman smiling endlessly as kids iceskate on the frozen pond. WELL, you get the picture.

Its unbelievable, beats anything hands down. Mine has been on for 11 years so its worst than most. Also, pieces came off in big sheets too.

WOW!!!!

Last edited by LS6427; 03-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

edit: also, just so you all know: My top layer of tint came right off almost in one giant piece about a month ago. I thought I was the luckiest guy in the world. Then I realized the bottom layer was still there, I had no idea tint had two layers. So the bottom layer is the one that is on there like cement.

Trying to scrap it off with a razor literally would cause the razor to bend or it just wouldn't move at all.
After the paint stripper it came off like it wasn't even attached, just with with my fingers.

Name:  DSC01715.jpg
Views: 9240
Size:  79.7 KB

Last edited by LS6427; 03-05-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome!

Why don't tint places use this?

I recently did my tints at a local place on my '99... The two guys removing the tints took FOREVER using all kinds of solutions and blades... I was watching, and it definitely wasn't like your experience.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboyferal
That's awesome!

Why don't tint places use this?

I recently did my tints at a local place on my '99... The two guys removing the tints took FOREVER using all kinds of solutions and blades... I was watching, and it definitely wasn't like your experience.
Well, maybe now it'll become the popular way. The section you see hanging in the picture....I dabbed it on and waited 15 minutes. It just fell off like you see it.

Not messy at all either. I then took Goo-Off and cleaned the window and leftover mushy stuff, wiped right off with a paper towel. Doesn't take much either, it goes a long way, one can will do all three glasses in an F-Body.

I'll finish tomorrow and have the backglass and both doors retinted on Saturday.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

OMFG i love you. i had to remove my tint because i keep getting ticketed for illegal tint and i cannot get the glue to come off. ive tried the window tint remover they sell and goo gone and the glue wont come off.

i dont know why i didnt think about the aircraft stripper. im so glad i saw this thread.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to do this once in my old 95 grand am. I bought some, "tint remover" from a local discount auto. I sprayed it on, covered it, and tried to get it off. The main thing was it smelt absolutely horrible. I don't know if that is the common thing with removing tint, but I almost couldn't stand it. I had to open all of the doors. Then, the **** wouldn't come off. I got about 1/3 of the tint off of one window and gave up.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

the tint remover i bought didnt stink, but it did absolutely nothing to get the glue off
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I tried to do this once in my old 95 grand am. I bought some, "tint remover" from a local discount auto. I sprayed it on, covered it, and tried to get it off. The main thing was it smelt absolutely horrible. I don't know if that is the common thing with removing tint, but I almost couldn't stand it. I had to open all of the doors. Then, the **** wouldn't come off. I got about 1/3 of the tint off of one window and gave up.
Hell yes man, when I tried the garbage bag with the undiluted ammonis that the auto parts stores sell...it smelled like ***!!!!! Very wierd smell. But it did absolutely nothing to loosen the tint.

This paint stripper is friggin awesome, I can't describe it any better than, it falls off.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Holy Sh*t!! This ranks up there with removing tint with a steamer! Awesome!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

**** im doin that this weekend, this is some good news!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

do you think it will damage the defrost heater stuff on the back glass? i heard soak it with windex and let it sit in the sun for a few hours and you keep soaking it with windex then it will just peel off. this is what a buddy of mine told me that owns a tint shop.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boostnificent
do you think it will damage the defrost heater stuff on the back glass? i heard soak it with windex and let it sit in the sun for a few hours and you keep soaking it with windex then it will just peel off. this is what a buddy of mine told me that owns a tint shop.
Nothing that tint shops told me to do worked AT ALL.

I did the soaking thing in the sun with ammonia, nothing happened at all.

The defrosters are perfectly fine.

But remember, mine is very old and probably the worst case.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone, anyone, please tell me how the hell to get the glue off of my window please!!. Whoever had the car before me, did a really shitty job on the tint and I pulled the first layer off about 2 months ago, and now I can barely see out of my passenger window for all the glue. I have tried all kinds of methods, including but not limited too, intense scraping, goo-gone, ammonia based cleaners and the like. Nothing has worked. Sorry to the op, not trying to hijack, but an answer to this could really make my week.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
Someone, anyone, please tell me how the hell to get the glue off of my window please!!. Whoever had the car before me, did a really shitty job on the tint and I pulled the first layer off about 2 months ago, and now I can barely see out of my passenger window for all the glue. I have tried all kinds of methods, including but not limited too, intense scraping, goo-gone, ammonia based cleaners and the like. Nothing has worked. Sorry to the op, not trying to hijack, but an answer to this could really make my week.
Did you NOT read the first 2 posts in this thread
Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

awesome!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Cool i'm about ready to do mine soon, thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Great idea/discovery, people need to be careful though and ventilate their **** after using this. I wouldn't want my car to smell like paint thinner
Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Launching!

I say this is sticky worthy, definitely will save a lot of people a head ache
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Launching!

You sir are my hero. I hate the tint that came on my car but have been reluctant to try and get it off for this very reason.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
Holy Sh*t!! This ranks up there with removing tint with a steamer! Awesome!
This is the way we've done it for years (steamer). Much less messy and less stinky!

Quick Reply: Tint remover.......we have a winner.....