General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'95 Formula Tune-Up: Accel or MSD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '95 Formula Tune-Up: Accel or MSD?

I spent some time searching (not forever, but some time) and did not find the answer.

I need to replace a leaky water pump on my '95 Formula. Since I have to do this, I "might as well" put on a new cap and rotor, plugs, and wires.

I see that the Accel cap and rotor kit is much more inexpensive than the MSD kit. Is there a quality difference, or is the Accel a good product?

Any need to get a certain type of plug wire for a stock motor, or will any replacement that Rockauto carries do?

Also, are any of the water pump brands better than others? New worth it, or rebuilt fine.

Thanks for any guidance. I have never done a tune up on an LT1, and I have big hands. I have been told that this will be a very un-fun job
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead and just buy a new water pump. the last time i checked they weren't all that much more. As for the cap and rotor, you may just want to replace the entire optispark depending on your mileage. I would go with Accel, they have very good products that aren't too expensive. You should be fine with OEM replacement wires. You could go with something aftermarket if your willing to spend the money, but if you're budget conscious, go with OEM. Also, since you're in that far, you may want to do plugs too if you haven't changed those already. Good luck, not to discourage you, but your going to need it.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info, man.

I was looking from under and above the engine today, to see the plugs. Oh, boy. This is when I wish I had car buddies to help and offer moral support.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I would do all OEM. If your replacing the distributor itself I'd throw in a Dynaspark since they are vented for all years and carry a lifetime warranty. But trust me, it'll run like a champ with OE parts, especially if its stock.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Banned

OEM or MSD. Accel is garbage. More issues with that stuff then I can count.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
OEM or MSD. Accel is garbage. More issues with that stuff then I can count.
I wish you'd posted yesterday, dude...ordered Accel cap and rotor from Summit last night. Also went with a new water pump from1AAuto, not sure of brand, though.

Oh well, it is what it is, I'll hope for the best!