General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear wheel clunking/rattling while steering wheel is completely turned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel clunking/rattling while steering wheel is completely turned?

Hello everyone, recently my '98 SS has started doing a couple of things, and i'm wondering if anyone on here might have an idea as to what they are.

First, in the mornings (it's worse when it's cold outside) and i turn the steering wheel in one direction (it doesn't necessarily have to be cranked all of the way) i get a loud repeated popping noise and the steering wheel along with the front wheels and what seems like the whole front of the car shake each time it pops. I've had a local mechanic look at it and he says that the steering rack is bad and needs replaced. I got quoted at 600 something dollars to replace it and am wondering if this sounds like it is actually the problem or not?

Second, when i have the steering wheel completely cranked and am backing up/driving forward the whole rear drivers side wheel (couldn't see the passengers side but i assume it does it too) will shake back and forth while there is a terrible rubbing sound. It's hard to explain what its doing but it is the whole wheel/tire kind of popping to the left and the right. I noticed this about a week ago while pulling into my driveway and it does it pretty much everytime. The tires are just the stock 275 width. Does anyone have any clue as to what this might be?

If I didn't include something that needs to be known to help diagnose this problem please let me know! Any help/advice anyone can offer would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it make the popping nosie while going over bumps and turning. From what you described it would sound like the intermediate shaft.
Also jack the front wheels up in the air and see if there is any play in the hub bearings or in the tie rod ends

If you have not done this before support car on jack stands and let the front wheel dangle. Grab the tire and the top and the bottom and push the upper part of the tire in while you pull out on the bottom of the tire. There should be no play. Also do that on the sides of the tire to check the tire rod ends. See what you get there./

Last edited by RsSean; 03-16-2009 at 07:29 PM.