General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clutch pedal tightness reduced after a clank sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal tightness reduced after a clank sound?

Sorry for the vague title but - I was driving and suddenly heard a small "clank" - as if a spring shot out of somewhere - and then I felt that my clutch pedal suddenly became loose at the top - I press on it and feel that about the top half inch of it are just loose. This didn't seem to affect anything bad though, so it's not an emergency but I'd like to fix it if I knew what it was. I haven't looked at it yet but was wondering if this might be a known problem or not.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

You broke your clutch pedal return spring. Very common.

Its a two sided spring, so if you take off your lower IP cover, you will probably see one piece of the spring laying around and the other half still in position on the pedal.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
You broke your clutch pedal return spring. Very common.

Its a two sided spring, so if you take off your lower IP cover, you will probably see one piece of the spring laying around and the other half still in position on the pedal.
Yay

So... I found this link, is this what I need to do? https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...rn-spring.html

It seems like a lot of hassle actually, does it really have to be fixed? As the last poster in that link said, it doesn't do anything. Is that true?

What's a good place to buy one of these if I did decide to do it?

And what is IP cover?

Thank you!

Last edited by flymybird; 04-03-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flymybird
Yay

So... I found this link, is this what I need to do? https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...rn-spring.html

It seems like a lot of hassle actually, does it really have to be fixed? As the last poster in that link said, it doesn't do anything. Is that true?

What's a good place to buy one of these if I did decide to do it?

And what is IP cover?

Thank you!
IP=instrument panel

i would say your local chevy dealer
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

The spring helps with the pedal travel and feel of the pedal. It doesn't seem to satisfy any other mechanical purpose.

When mine brakes, I do change it because I like the feel better. When changing, I also recommend changing the plastic bushings that hold the spring. They start to squeak over time.

That being said, its a total bitch to replace, requires a 10inch pair of needle nose or other pliers to get up to the spring, and requires being up under the dash. Dealers can order the parts.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal tightness reduced after a clank sound?