General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

If you put your two meter leads into the little black plug,WITH A KEY INSERTED, and don't read the ohms of the key, it's bad for sure.Auto Zone and Advanced Auto shows them on their website but don't know if new keys comes with or you have to see a locksmith .Give them a call and let us know.Or you can bypass the VATS by plugging in some resistors that add up to the same as your key and everything should work great!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do I put in the resistors and by-pass the VATS? IMO, the VATS system is just another thing to break on you. It doesn't really serve me any purpose.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a link to that info:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=bypass+VATS
Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't made it home to ohm check the cylinder WITH my keys in it, lol. But I'm curious. Since I did find and exposed (and possibly slightly cut wire), will that cause me any problems later down the road if I by pass the VATS. I'm thinking about doing the by pass (and hoping the problem is not in the rest of the system) but am worried that a wire will break more and cause problems.

I'm probably going to call the dealership to see if I need to get a new key/resistor if an ignition cylinder lock is replaced.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the cut/damaged wire is shown in post #21, those wires wil no longer be used if you bypass- so no,that won't cause you trouble.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ohmed it out with the key. Still no reading. I wiggled the cylinder a little and luckily got the exposed wire to show a little better. It looks like it's cut halfway through. I think it's a safe bet that is my problem. I might as well fix it while I'm there.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great! Glad you found the problem.Let us know the process for getting a new lock cylinder.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I replied to the thread you linked. Someone there told me that the resistance is coded into the BCM. Which is what I thought but didn't want to say as I did not know for a fact. So as far as I know, the same resistance will work with the new cylinder.

I'm e-mailed carsandlocks.com (or whatever was linked in that thread) since they sell cylinder locks. It's more than Autozone but since they cut keys, I'm trying to find out if that is included in the price. If so, I'll pay a higher price for some convenience. I like to get the cylinder with a new key already made so I can install it and put everything together and do a quick ops check. I'll post info as I find it. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definetly the BCM is looking for the exact resistance of your key.GM used 15 different resistance values, so does that mean that an auto parts store stocks 15 different part numbers for cylinders that come with keys? Or the cylinder comes without a key and the tumblers have to be adjusted to fit your key? Inquiring minds want to know-hopefully you will find the answer and pass it on! Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Carlocksandkeys.com only needed to know the resistance value and/or pellet number so they could cut the key. So I ordered from them so they can cut the keys for me.

Autozone, et al will have a template key for you to take to GM or whoever (I will go with whoever, **** stealerships) to cut you a key with the right chip. But you need to know the right chip.

My parts should arrive in the next couple of days. I have run into a snafu though. I am trying to pull the old cylinder out and the plug will not fit through the steering wheel column. Some stupid plastic part constricts the pathway where no plug will fit through. Stupid manuals don't address it at all. "Thier" car doesn't even have the plastic piece.

I like how GM can put all this plastic crap to "protect" wires (making maintenance that much more difficult) but will put two very thin wires right next to a moving part so that it will chaff and get severed so your car won't start. What a joke.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now i see how they do that! You obtain the correct blank GM key and cut it to fit the cylinder using a template key.Very clever!
When I first bought my car I wanted an extra key so I measured resistance and bought a blank GM key off of Ebay pretty cheap.Had my local hardware store cut it A-OK.
Well good luck on changing cylinder- it sounds kinda tough.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not tough but very tedious the first time. After this, I will be a pro at it. Learned a lot from my screw ups, lol. Hopefully I can help others. There seem to be a rash of these start problems lately. Maybe a sticky should be made somewhere?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got the lock and keys yesterday. Installed the lock, no problem. Car started up fine and one minute later, the Security light went off. Took it for a drive and the light stayed off. Hopefully it does the same when I start it for a few more years in the future.

When I took the old one out, the second wire was cut through further down where I could not see it while it was installed. So the wires do get munched up in there. If it happens again, I'll do the by-pass and be done with it.

Thanks for all the help. Saved me a LOT of money from the stealership.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Sounds good!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by BigPops0403
My car for the last 3 weeks has not been starting right. When you turn the ignition usually after its been sitting for a while, like overnight the car doesn't do anything. The battery is fine, and it has been taking longer and longer for the car to start now. When you turn the ignition nothing happens and then after about 5-10 min of that it will randomly start. Any Ideas?
my buddie has an 00 z and he had the same problem about a week ago...it would not do anything when you turned the key but if you tried over and over it would just spontaniously start up... we got to looking around and the ground wire to the frame from the starter was rusted up and wasnt getting a good connection. Might or might not be your problem... hope this helps!

Quick Reply: HELP! Car wont start