General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whining noise *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i'm safe to run it, for now? Little bits of shredded bearing / impeller or whatever won't make their way into my steering rack and **** that up?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
T.A.WS6

did you recently had your air pump disconnected? it could be a hose thats loose
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That definitely sound like the PS pump running on zero fluid.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by T.A.WS6
did you recently had your air pump disconnected? it could be a hose thats loose
The air pump is there but it isn't exactly functional. I'm told there is a bad ground in the PCM that makes the air pump either not work or work all the time.. I don't remember which.

It sounds like no fluid, but the problem is that there IS fluid. If there wasn't fluid we'd have a solution
Old 04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
So i'm safe to run it, for now? Little bits of shredded bearing / impeller or whatever won't make their way into my steering rack and **** that up?
The bearing chamber is exterior to the fluid compartment. Once enough wear has taken place, the pulley and shaft will not longer be able to turn straight as their position will tilt/wobble from the widened tolerance, which then breaks the seal that keeps the fluid in. Pressure from the impeller shaft will then force the fluid out through the penetrated spots on the seal, leaking out. Fluid will enter the bearing chamber if there is a tear on the inner container ring, and any metal debris from within there that makes it out will continue in the direction of the leak, which is outward. Though It's not impossible for small amounts of debris to make it into the power steering system under the right circumstance, chances are high that any damage incurred will be minor/negligible.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

New pump in! BUT ITS STILL MAKING THE SOUND. The guy who lives across the street builds race cars. I asked him to have a listen. He said the pump is in relief IE resirculating fluid all the time. Like when you turn to full lock and it makes a noise, but ALL the time. He sais that meens there is some kind of blockage in the lines somewhere.

SO I'm going to bypass the power steering cooler to see if that helps. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Bypassed. NO difference. Stethiscope confirms that it is coming from the PS pump NOT the waterpump
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Anyone have any ideas? What else could cause a restriction in the PS system that would cause the pump to go into constant relief?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A power steering line could be bad, even if it's not leaking.

My brand new G6 had a TSB about a PS whine that developed on about 50% of G6s. It was covered under warranty and was just a mis-manufactured line.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Talked to GM today. He asked what brand the pump was, I said "Fenco" he replied "that's probably your problem then, Fencos are junk" I asked "if there was anything else that could cause this" and he said "not likely".

Time to take the pump back?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Launching!

autozone pumps give you a life time warrenty and sell for $140 with a $60 core charge so $200 untill you bring your broken one back lol

i got one and my car ran fine for the about 10,000 miles until i sold it lol from what i year its still doing fine lol
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Launching!

I got mine from Lordco (being Canadian and all...) no idea on the warantee, I'll have to call and find out. Sucks *** though!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Launching!

you can run it its fine but one day it will just dye on you and be really hard to turn the wheel not a big deal when your moving but really hard when your going slow or when your stopped lol
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Yeah it runs fine, but it still makes that aweful sound from the first post. I want that gone. Plus if it does crap out it'll probably be up in the mountains somewhere and I'll be fucked!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Ok, new pump didn't solve the problem... so it goes back to the store. What else causes horrible wineing sound in the steering system?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Took a look at all the lines on the steering rack. Nothing seems to be visibly out of place or damaged. I'm going to put my old pump back in. Any thoughts as to the cause of the sound would be appresceated.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Just had a thought, and did some pokeing around with the stethiscope I borrowed. What if it was the alternator making that noise? Is that a noise a bad alternator could make? When I fired up the car last night I noticed a flicker in the headlights, just momentaraly, and I thought I should start looking at the alternator. Useing the stethiscope the sound seems noticeably louder at the alternator than on the PS pump...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like your alternator fan is contacting the body of the alternator. One of the fins is probably bent and barely scraping the housing.

That sound was quite hilarious. I laughed pretty hard upon hearing that. I was expecting something tame, but that was definetly really loud.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
It sounds like your alternator fan is contacting the body of the alternator. One of the fins is probably bent and barely scraping the housing.

That sound was quite hilarious. I laughed pretty hard upon hearing that. I was expecting something tame, but that was definetly really loud.
Thanks, I have some time off from work now (finally) so I'll get to fixing this.

I suppose this shows the dangers of running without that chin spoiler/deflector thing below the radiator attached.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ When I went to get my old alternator tested on my 95 the guy put it on the test machine he mounted it wrong for some odd reason and the fan was hitting the plastic guard on the machine. It sounded exactly like that. I would check it out and it is really close to the PS pump if you are figuring the noise is coming from that area. Good luck.