General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What are the signs that your 10 bolt is on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich Z
Mine started making a horrible whining and woo-woo sound back in august and hasn't gotten any worse. From what I've read it's the pinion bearings are shot. However there isn't any slack or leaking pinion and I pulled the cover and all looks fine. I have no money to do anything about it so if it breaks it breaks.
you are 100% right. as long as you arnt too hard on it it will last for a while. mine is very faint woo woo'ing right now and i havnt taken it back to the track in fear or making it worse. had a friend who ran one pass on an auto bolt on z28 with slicks, and it fucked em up bad. youcould hear it woo woo'ing from accross town
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Generally, what are the signs that the 10 bolt is on its last legs?
I'm really not sure. I think you will just have to break it to find out. Take it apart before you break it and find signs of ware? I rather just have the fun in breaking it!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich Z
Mine started making a horrible whining and woo-woo sound back in august and hasn't gotten any worse. From what I've read it's the pinion bearings are shot. However there isn't any slack or leaking pinion and I pulled the cover and all looks fine. I have no money to do anything about it so if it breaks it breaks.
mine does this also, and it makes a clunk when i let the clutch out and shift into 2nd gear