General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Throwing codes (2002 SS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throwing codes (2002 SS)

I've been throwing these same codes for awhile now and I've been trying everything to keep them from coming back. Here are the codes:

P0171 Bank 1, Lean.
P0174 Bank 2, Lean.

I've been working on finding the problem for awhile. Here is what I've done to try and solve this problem.

1) Replaced the Air Intake seals.
2) New MAF. (Granetelli w/Cold Air Tune)
3) New K&N air filter.
4) BBK 80MM Throttle Body.

I can't think of anything else that may be causing the lean air fuel ratio. Just some more info on the car so maybe someone can figure ths out. I drive it in southern california and I run premium fuel and always have. I've been trying to get a tune, but having trouble finding the time off. Do you guys think that a tune can get rid of this problem?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Vacum leak, and I bet its inbetween the PCV and your intake.

~ Craig
Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Teching In

I'll check that out. Is there a loud whine when there is a vacuum leak?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM

More like a hiss. But for both banks to go lean I bet it's a vacum leak. Also maybe clogged fuel filter. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

~ Craig
Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Teching In

I changed the filter about 3 months ago when it first started. No luck. I've sprayed carb cleaner along the whole intake and tb and no change in idle speed. I'm getting a hiss, but I'm not sure if it's coming from the belt or from the intake.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Did you check the hose inbetween the PVC and intake? Very common problem with time/miles that is tears.

~ Craig
Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I checked it out and not tears or cracks. When I re-installed the throttle body and I made sure to tighten those hex screws up nice and tight. I noticed something that I hadn't noticed the first time I installed the Throttle body. The spacer on the BBK (Stock has no spacer) was causing the smooth bellows to push the MAF to far into the Lid. So the lid was latched, but it was being pushed from where it use to sit. So I cut the smooth bellows to allow room for the space that the TB spacer took up. I drove it around the block a few times and no SES light (Usually it pops up within 2-3 miles after I clear the codes). I'm really hoping this is going to solve my problem, but only time will tell. Thanks Craig for your help.

Joe
Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EOD_JOE
I've been throwing these same codes for awhile now and I've been trying everything to keep them from coming back. Here are the codes:

P0171 Bank 1, Lean.
P0174 Bank 2, Lean.

I've been working on finding the problem for awhile. Here is what I've done to try and solve this problem.

1) Replaced the Air Intake seals.
2) New MAF. (Granetelli w/Cold Air Tune)
3) New K&N air filter.
4) BBK 80MM Throttle Body.

I can't think of anything else that may be causing the lean air fuel ratio. Just some more info on the car so maybe someone can figure ths out. I drive it in southern california and I run premium fuel and always have. I've been trying to get a tune, but having trouble finding the time off. Do you guys think that a tune can get rid of this problem?
You need to get an OBDII scan, the good scanner that the dealers use. If the tech knows how to read it, he'll narrow it down.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Can you take the PCV hose off without taking the manifold off? I'm doing my best to find this leak, but I am bound and determined to find this leak. Anymore input on this?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I threw the P0174 code today while on my way to work. When I got home I scanned the car, deleted the code and drove the car 10 miles and no code came back.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I threw this same code and it was bc I was missing a clamp to hold the bellows to the throttle body. Just make sure yours are all sealed.