General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0171 and P0174 codes... Could it be the fuel pump?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I personnally use alcohol and q-tips, but a WARNING...you can easily destroy the MAF if you make the slightest mistake. I recommend you go get a can of Sea Foam and a can of MAF cleaner. Put the can of Sea Foam into a half tank of gas and clean the MAF. Take the MAF off and spray the **** out of it, on both sides, everywhere, all over the screen and through it onto the little wires inside the MAF. Then spray the **** out of the throttle body and open the blade and spray that thing all over it both sides. Let it dry and put it back on. After that tank of gas do the fuel filter.

Also, take that same MAF spray and lift the lid off and spray the **** out of the inlet air sensor thats in the lid on the inside. I do that all the time for like 11 years and that bitch is still the original sensor.

Thanks a ton! Just did the seafoam and cleaned the sensors and the code went away. Also, the idle is a lot more smooth I guess due to me cleaning the MAF. Now I just need to run this tank down and change the fuel filter. Oh and as for the fuel pump noise, when I ran it today, I didn't notice the wierd sound when I ran the car for about 20 miles after I put the seafoam in. Hopefully everything is okay now and the codes don't return. Thanks again guys!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Zeeeeeeeeee28
Thanks a ton! Just did the seafoam and cleaned the sensors and the code went away. Also, the idle is a lot more smooth I guess due to me cleaning the MAF. Now I just need to run this tank down and change the fuel filter. Oh and as for the fuel pump noise, when I ran it today, I didn't notice the wierd sound when I ran the car for about 20 miles after I put the seafoam in. Hopefully everything is okay now and the codes don't return. Thanks again guys!
Sweet, hopefully ya got it.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Well, the problem just came back today. I finally got my tank down to about E, and I replaced the fuel filter this morning. Went to start the car, and the fuel pump still made the same noise as before. Later in the day, the 2 Lean codes came back up. So now its really looking like its the fuel pump which sucks because I priced one and it's about 500-600 bucks... So, anyone know of anything else it could be?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

Well, the problem just came back today. I finally got my tank down to about E, and I replaced the fuel filter this morning. Went to start the car, and the fuel pump still made the same noise as before. Later in the day, the 2 Lean codes came back up. So now its really looking like its the fuel pump which sucks because I priced one and it's about 500-600 bucks... So, anyone know of anything else it could be?
Check the fuel pressure with a guage at the rails. I think 55-58psi is normal.

And don't spend $500 on a new pump. Get a Racetronix fuel pump for about half that.
http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car have same code, car most of the time crank few second late, but when it crank, car ran perfect, it hard to crank when it hot out side. I replace all fuel injector o-ring, and the code still their. I put in a fuel pressure gauge and test it, it jump to about 50psi when prime then it back down really fast, my fuel pump is making that buzzing noise all the time too. Any one have ideal please let me know too, thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Check the fuel pressure with a guage at the rails. I think 55-58psi is normal.

And don't spend $500 on a new pump. Get a Racetronix fuel pump for about half that.
http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html
Hopefully my friend whom I'm going to on Tuesday to put headers on, has a fuel pressure gauge because they are pretty pricey for something I'm only gonna use once. As for the fuel pump, do I get the kit that has both the pump and the wiring harness or just the pump? Also, how hard is it to replace? I've heard it's a bitch to do...
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so today I checked the fuel pressure and at idle it read anywhere between 40-48 PSI. Isn't that around where it's supossed to be? I don't know what else could make the car run lean on both banks other than the pump or a clogged filter, which I just replaced? Is it possible that both o2 sensors could've taken a dump at the same time? Even if they did, my fuel pump shouldn't sound like this... Anyone?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

Hopefully my friend whom I'm going to on Tuesday to put headers on, has a fuel pressure gauge because they are pretty pricey for something I'm only gonna use once. As for the fuel pump, do I get the kit that has both the pump and the wiring harness or just the pump? Also, how hard is it to replace? I've heard it's a bitch to do...
I bought everything because I wanted new wiring with the new pump. I had a race shop install it for me for $80 labor.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

Ok, so today I checked the fuel pressure and at idle it read anywhere between 40-48 PSI. Isn't that around where it's supossed to be? I don't know what else could make the car run lean on both banks other than the pump or a clogged filter, which I just replaced? Is it possible that both o2 sensors could've taken a dump at the same time? Even if they did, my fuel pump shouldn't sound like this... Anyone?
I think that pressure is just fine.

Gedt a video of the sound the pump is making. Sometimes they make wierd sounds for a little while and then it'll go away.

Only to see if your 02 sensors are going bad is to get it scanned with a real OBDII scanner like the dealerships use. Not the little orange ones at parts stores. You WILL NOT always get an SES light if the sensors have not yet failed completely.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

I bought everything because I wanted new wiring with the new pump. I had a race shop install it for me for $80 labor.
Wow that's a lot cheaper than I expected for the install. Did they do it by dropping the tank or did they use the trap door method?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Wow that's a lot cheaper than I expected for the install. Did they do it by dropping the tank or did they use the trap door method?
Dropped the tank. I gave them the car at about 10am and picked it up at 3pm.

I'm sure you'll get quotes that are ridiculous. Don't get taken for a ride, it takes a couple hours to do it.

I'd do it myself if I could have lifted my car in the air. Its a friggin easy job. I lived in a condo building back then and couldn't do any real work on my car.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You deleted your EGR? Check that block off at the intake for a leak first, then thoroughly inspect the PCV system. I did not say briefly look at it, I said thoroughly inspect it which involves removing the entire system. You'll find a leak either at the PCV tubing or the EGR block off. The PCV tubes deteriorate over time and cause vacuum leaks, sometimes large enough to affect idle quality. Lean codes do not set from weak fuel pumps.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Default how did

you make out with your P0171 issue.. I have the same code on a 1997 SS.. Reset it and in less then 10 miles it comes back... Would you let me know if you found a resoultion..

Thanks,

Sean

Quick Reply: P0171 and P0174 codes... Could it be the fuel pump?!?