General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone else manage this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone else manage this?

Ever since I got the car the center console compartment door has been funky, well a few days ago it was really excited when I sat in the car and wanted to ride shotgun...so the thing swung open and shot the top part into the passenger seat!

Needless to say, I need to do something about this because what remains is a thin plastic door that is stuck in the open position so everyone can see whats in my compartment. Should I just try to glue the pieces back together or find a replacement?

The part # is 10421355 and they want $140 for it!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else manage this?-mj-ff-same-day-064.jpg  
Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=5&catalogid=2

$16.19, pm me if the admins delete the link

good guys over there at partszoneonline. I have ordered from them alot.

the part number you listed is for the entire door. Where did you find it for $140? Thats a good price from a stealership. Its $156 from the site I linked.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=5&catalogid=2

$16.19, pm me if the admins delete the link

good guys over there at partszoneonline. I have ordered from them alot.

the part number you listed is for the entire door. Where did you find it for $140? Thats a good price from a stealership. Its $156 from the site I linked.
Thanks for the help but I believe the $16.19 is for only the button?

My entire door decayed on the inside somehow and separated from the bottom plastic panel....I'll take better pics of it tomorrow in sunlight.

I'll probably just end up gluing it back but there is no inside anymore, I just don't know.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your going to need to replace the lid. I found one used for 40 bucks.
If your a redneck, like me, make one out of wood.
I was rocking a wood one recovered with the stock vinyl until I finally broke down and bought a used one.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My console door cracked and bowed in the middle too. Luckily it was only cracked and not worse, so I repaired it with some metal strips and short screws. Your's looks a bit more broken than mine though.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are the more in detail pics...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else manage this?-june-29-061.jpg   Anyone else manage this?-june-29-063.jpg   Anyone else manage this?-june-29-064.jpg  
Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The wood is definitely an interesting idea, but I'm thinking I'll try and work with what I have right now. If it doesn't work out, where would be places to look for it used?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

there is industrial strength hot glue which is made for car interiors. I ended up picking up a dozen free sticks from a local supplier, but I also found them online. I would try that, it works quite a few wonders.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Yours is definitely a lot more broken than mine. I don't know if that is fixable. Doesn't look to be. The hot glue idea is interesting. How whould you do that? Hot glue the cover to the lower part of the door (which stayed attached to the console)?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys, I'll look into getting some of the hot glue.

And VIP1, I first have to repair the top part that came off, I don't know if you can see it in the pics but the plastic has cracked on the inside of it. Then after the top is at least semi together, THEN I have to glue it back to the bottom piece....I'm optimistic .
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Alright guys, I'll look into getting some of the hot glue.

And VIP1, I first have to repair the top part that came off, I don't know if you can see it in the pics but the plastic has cracked on the inside of it. Then after the top is at least semi together, THEN I have to glue it back to the bottom piece....I'm optimistic .
The glue is high temp and usually amber in color.

But I am still curious where you found the lid for $140?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
I can't quite tell from the pics if part of the plastic is missing or if that is just excess foam that poured over during the manufacturing process. If its just extra foam, you can peel it off and use metal strips with short screws to repair the cracked panel (that's what I did). Then to reattach it, I'd recommend removing the metal clips that pulled out and stayed on the lower panel. Then re-insert those metal clips in those square holes where they are supposed to be, then use 2-part plastic epoxy to secure them and re-build the broken area around them. The Hot glue may work here as well, but the epoxy would be stronger, just rough-up the surface first to ensure a better bond. When the epoxy has hardened, you can then re-install the cover like normal. That's a lot of "ifs", but its something to try.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I went to take some pics of the metal reinforcement I added and found more cracks, so I added more reinforcement.

Here are the pics...

(Yes, its wrapped in silver cloth to match the silver cloth in the doors)

Before:

[small]
[medium]
[large]

After:
More metal strips, including one across the hinge-side screw mounts. The black lines on the metal strip are marker lines I drew when drilling/cutting. The metal screw mounts are still there under that metal strip. Most of the metal strips are cut up pieces of the metal knock-outs from PCI slots on PC cases. The larger strip is basically the same kind of steel, but from a bracket I had lying around. The short screws are actually from disassembled face plates from PC cases as well. These screws are normal pointed screws (unlike most PC screws, since these are from plastic face plates), but I still predrilled the holes in the plastic.

[small]
[medium]
[large]

[small]
[medium]
[large]

Some pics of it installed

[small]
[medium]
[large]

[small]
[medium]
[large]

[small]
[medium]
[large]

I hope this helps, and isn't seen as a hijack.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-30-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
I can't quite tell from the pics if part of the plastic is missing or if that is just excess foam that poured over during the manufacturing process. If its just extra foam, you can peel it off and use metal strips with short screws to repair the cracked panel (that's what I did). Then to reattach it, I'd recommend removing the metal clips that pulled out and stayed on the lower panel. Then re-insert those metal clips in those square holes where they are supposed to be, then use 2-part plastic epoxy to secure them and re-build the broken area around them. The Hot glue may work here as well, but the epoxy would be stronger, just rough-up the surface first to ensure a better bond. When the epoxy has hardened, you can then re-install the cover like normal. That's a lot of "ifs", but its something to try.
My only comment is that the epoxy will be more brittle even if slightly stronger. I would definitely stick to the hot glue I suggested.

http://www.glubie.com/01_Pages/glue-sticks.htm#cart
you can see that both GM and Ford use this stuff

here you can buy something very similar(if not the same) but not in bulk
http://www.hotstik.com/store/pc/HS-3...er-Lb-6p43.htm

I cannot remember which (its been a while since I acquired it) but its either
Polyolefin or Polyamide based glue. You can do some more research if you want, but after using some its much nicer than any epoxy.

Edit: Apparently the glue I linked(non bulk) is polyamide based. And the specific GM/Ford glue, you might be able to purchase non-bulk. I added it to my cart (1 lb.) but never finished checkout.

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-30-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Looks like both of those glue stick options are sold by the pound. I didn't see a minimum amount limit. Where did you see it indicate that one is bulk and the other isn't? They both look to be the same quantities to me except the second site offers fewer options and is more expensive.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Looks like both of those glue stick options are sold by the pound. I didn't see a minimum amount limit. Where did you see it indicate that one is bulk and the other isn't? They both look to be the same quantities to me except the second site offers fewer options and is more expensive.
I am not sure. I guess I had the idea preconceived in my head after my trouble trying to buy some in non bulk quantities a year or so ago. Most sites I tried to get it from wanted me to buy 20 or 25 lbs. So I called a local supplier, and they could only sell to me in bulk. So I said I was a college student and needed just a dozen sticks for a project which was BS (other than the student part). After I said it was for a college project, the supplier just gave them to me for free.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely appreciate both of you providing your own experiences and insight, I had no idea other people would have encountered this issue.

kny3twalker: The $140 price was gmpartsdirect before shipping, it was $175ish after shipping if I'm not mistaken. And sweet deal on the free samples!

VIP1: That's some nice custom work and of course you aren't hijacking. And that foam isn't extra, I'm missing pieces somehow.

I sorta feel bad to say this, but upon further inspection...mine is pretty fucked up. I'm gonna try and wait out ebay for a used one, but unfortunately it only has Grand Am, Grand Prix, and even a '04 GTO one right now!!! I mean honestly, a GTO one but not an fbody?

Anyway, thank you for all your help guys and if one doesn't come along for a what I consider a reasonable price, I'll be attempting to revive this poor thing. I'll keep this thread updated throughout this exciting saga !
Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, I can't find a firebird one for the life of me. Does anyone know if a 99 Camaros would definitely match with my interior? I think I've read that no matter what color the interior, this door was always the same.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

How's it going?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How's it going?
Hah, I ended up performing a cheap fix. The cheapest used ones on ebay were going for $90, which is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. So, I just sorta forced mine back together...no other way to really explain it. But it looks fine and works as long as I'm careful. Maybe some day if I have $100 to blow for no reason I'll look into finding a replacement.

Thanks again for all your help!

Quick Reply: Anyone else manage this?